Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cleaning greasy 24V starter?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning greasy 24V starter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Cleaning greasy 24V starter? Reply with quote

Here's the starter I took out of the A1 when I switched it over to 12V. It was working when I removed it, but not very well.

Lot's of gear lube in there. The trans and transfer are coming out this winter for new seals, synchros, etc.

I've read several suggestions for what can be used to clean off all the gunk: brake cleaner, contact cleaner, etc.

I'd like to hear your recommendations for what to use and how to go about cleaning this out.

Thanks!

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my 24v generator, the instructions (in the "Downloads" section of this website) called for cleaning with "volatile mineral spririts or dry cleaning solution". I use mineral sprits in my parts washer so I cleaned the really gunky parts there and followed up with clean mineral sprits. The instructions also suggested not soaking the parts - use just a spray then dry with a careful application of compressed air. Everything came out well.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay attention to not disturb the field wrappings, and make sure the brushes move freely in the holders and the springs are good. A brush hanging up is usually what starts the demise of things. Brushes are cheap to replace. Check for leakage of the windings to the case, and shorts in the armature. You can do a battery check with jumper cables. Ground to the center shaft and touch and drag the positive over the commutator segments. If it's good nothing happens. If it isn't Shocked a shocking experience will occur Laughing . You need to buy a backup Jeep so you can tour more while the other is apart. Very Happy John
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyjeep50 wrote:
When I rebuilt my 24v generator, the instructions (in the "Downloads" section of this website) called for cleaning with "volatile mineral spririts or dry cleaning solution". I use mineral sprits in my parts washer so I cleaned the really gunky parts there and followed up with clean mineral sprits. The instructions also suggested not soaking the parts - use just a spray then dry with a careful application of compressed air. Everything came out well.

Excellent, thanks, I should have thought to look in the downloads. Found it, TM1825B, page 317, para 108.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.

Last edited by jbjeeps on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
Pay attention to not disturb the field wrappings, and make sure the brushes move freely in the holders and the springs are good. A brush hanging up is usually what starts the demise of things. Brushes are cheap to replace. Check for leakage of the windings to the case, and shorts in the armature. You can do a battery check with jumper cables. Ground to the center shaft and touch and drag the positive over the commutator segments. If it's good nothing happens. If it isn't Shocked a shocking experience will occur Laughing . You need to buy a backup Jeep so you can tour more while the other is apart. Very Happy John

Thanks John, good info as always!

A backup Jeep? I'm always looking! We finally got the backyard enclosed with 6' cedar fence this fall, so now I can hide even more good stuff in the backyard without worry about offending the neighbors or the HOA! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: