Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 7.00-16 Overall Diameter spec vs. current manufacture spec
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7.00-16 Overall Diameter spec vs. current manufacture spec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FiftyTwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: 7.00-16 Overall Diameter spec vs. current manufacture spec Reply with quote

It's time to replace the tires on my M38. I cant seem to find it now, but somewhere I read a spec on the OD of the 7.00-16 for the M38 to be 31 inches. As best I can find, there are two manufactures of NDCC in this size. STA specs the 7.00-16 NDCC at 31.1", Firestone at 30.5". This size difference is fairly negligible, but the reason I ask is because Im most interested in replacing the NDCC with a Mud and Snow. The STA Super Traxion 6.5-16 specs at 30.2" with a section width of 7.2" and tread width of 6.45". If the original spec called for an OD of 31" and the Super Traxion is down closer to 30" then I'm a little more hesitant. I understand the effects of taller vs. shorter OD's on the drive train, but Im just wanting to better predict what effect those particular 6.5-16's will have compared to my current running original 7.00-16's. Plus, will the half inch or so increase in tread width of the 6.5-16 still clear at full turns? Thanks!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturer's own specs are not dead on. Their production variations will often equal or exceed the 1/2" of concern you have. Your speedo has an allowable error range that will easily outdistance the size spread in the tires. And be assured your 5:38 gears will offer any measurable increase or decrease in performance with a difference of 1/2". The only thing you need to be concerned with is tread width vs turning diameter vs contact with structure in turns. That varies greatly with tires and the only way to determine is fit one up and try it at each corner of the jeep.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
FiftyTwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes,
Im in complete agreement with you, but Im wondering if perhaps the 1" difference in OD between the higher spec'd 31.1 NDCC and the lower spec'd 30.2" Super Traxion is something I want to do with the 5:38's. I live in the NW, lots of wet roads, and Im trying to get out on the road more regardless of conditions.
I wish there were a dealer in the area with these tires so I could mount one and check for steering clearance to my non-modified M38. Surely somebody out there must have tried these 6.5-16's.

BTW, thank you for this forum. Wonderful resource. Your time and commitment to it are much appreciated.

It's cold, but DRY! Think I'll go for a Sunday drive. Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 31.1 spec you have gotten for the NDCC is not reliable at all. Those original Firestones, Goodriches, and Goodyears built for the Army were just as far off with their production variances over the years. A 1" difference in tire diameter would have a noticeable long term effect on a differential gear set if they were run on opposites sides of the same axle but to increase or decrease .5 to .75" on a complete set is no large issue for your 5:38 gears.

Don't rely on a friend who tells you a 6.5 or 7" tread worked on the front or rear of his jeep. There are just two many variables. IE most folks are unaware that steering angle travel stops even exist on their front ends. There are three different stop adjustments depending on which of the three front inner axles that are being used. Spring height has an effect on steering limits as well as do several other angles.

The bottom line is only a test fit will give you the accurate answer you desire.

Can you not find a common 7.00-16 mud and snow tire.?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
FiftyTwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There just are not many 7.00-16 M+S tires out there anymore. I did find this that is supposed to be available this month. Has a rather nice tread with an overall width of only 7", but it's a 10 ply E rated tire. Is this more set up for pickup truck use?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very heavy truck rating. Will give you a very hard road feel.

If you are comfortable with non-stock GI tires why not improve both ride and handling and go with a modern 15" radial all weather tire?

Bill_F

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or even a modern radial on 16 inch like the 215/85 r16
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experiencing several tires in this range. I bought M&S 750-16 interco tires and they are all nylon , good traction, bounce like heck and ride like a brick. Fit a Jeep pickup, not a Universal. The STA 700-16 NDCC's on my A1 ride nice and handle nice but are slippery on anything slick. A friends STA 650-16's M&S feel solid and have good traction and work on a CJ2A but can rub on a tight turn. The 215 85 R 16's are what I'd try for ride and traction next. The STA super traxions were 175.00 each last time I priced them. If you want bias ply M&S, that's what I'd use. If you want easy access to tires and service, I'd try the radials. Hancook makes a bunch of nasty looking traction radials. The radials will absolutly give you the best ride. 600-16 M&S don't exist anymore. Another set of wheels in 15 inch for winter driving opens up a huge assortment of tires available. You can even get them close to the original 16 inch height. The CJ3A's did have original Jeep wheels in 15 inch available. Many, many ways to go. Tough decision. John
keats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the STA super traction tires on my CJ3B plow set up. After rebuilding the engine this past spring I was so impressed with the jeeps new performance and reliability that I felt new tires were a necessity. After looking at the military tread tires out there (I also have a M38, M170, CJ3A all with 700x16 military tires) I decided I wanted something different and more aggressive for snow. After sone research I picked the STA Super Traxion - 650-16 and bought them from Coker Tire(web site link below). After having the tires mounted on original 16 inch jeep rims, I have put over 600 miles on them breaking in the new engine. They have run smooth and quiet, and the ride isn't harsh at all. Since this topic I have measured the supers(30) and the military (29-1/2) and found the super traxion to be about a 1/2 inch taller in circumference!!! ( I did not check tire pressure before measuring, but just as a fast comparison the tires are close to the same circumference). Recently we had a foot of snow and the CJ3B had great traction and I felt less tire spin also. I am quite impressed with this tire for looks, traction, and expected longevity. The small difference in tire height will have little to no affect on a jeeps performance. I seriously doubt that anyone could feel any difference.

http://www.cokertire.com/tire-applications/military-truck/650-16-sta-super-traction-6pr.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: