Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Winch Cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winch Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbloom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Winch Cable Reply with quote

OK I know this has probably been addressed before but I could not find anything. I know the winch cable is suppose to be 100' of 5/16 cable. In the one manual it just shows the cable on the winch and the hook is attached to the top of the winch frame, no chain. In the parts manual, (dtd Sep. 1955) it shows the cable assembly 7411804 figure 20-2 with a chain attached. Was this a later mod? If so what is the correct length of the chain, and lastly is the part listed in the parts manual on page 314, Ord stock#H008-0819775, Ord part #42-C-14761-10, chain. welded, stght link, high carbon, high test, S, natural, nom size 5/16 in, that chain?
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the winches illustrated in both the TM 9-804 and TM 9-8012 are the early Ramsey 50 rated at 3500 Lbs. and shown on a pilot model M38. Production M38's and A1's and the subsequent Ramsey 50R (5000 Lb) winch would have probably had the chain at the end of the cable. Cable assy's and chains listed in the 51 M38 Ord 9, the 55 M38 Ord 9 and the 56 M38A1 Ord 9 are all the same. I believe the chain was about 2'.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bbloom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, thanks for the reply. Is the chain listed in the parts manual the chain on the end of the cable? The main reason I need to know is because it list's the chain as 5/16". Just want to make sure I use the correct size of chain. I was thinking of going to a 3/8" chain, but if it is suppose to be 5/16" then thats what I'll use.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain listed in the ORD 9 is indeed the chain that goes on the end of the cable. Weather 5/16" is correct or weather 5/16' is adequate I do not know. I would ascertain the breaking strength of the cable and the breaking strength of the 5/16" chain first. Then decide based on a show winch or a working winch.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
pduske

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbloom,

did you succeed in building the correct chain for your jeep?
I am also looking for one.

One problem I did not solve yet is to find the correct pear-shaped link.
My winch is the 50R, so the pear shaped link should have work load limit (wll) of 5,000 lbs, correct? So far, I did not find any 5/16 pear shaped link with that wll...

Finding the correct normal chain links is not a prob, whereas finding a correct hook is also a way to go since today the security latch is a safety standard... which we dont want to have. Nevertheless I found a source.

But not the correct pear shaped link...

I wonder if 5/16 is really the correct size of the chain - have a look on this nice photo of a Canadian M38A1:

[img]

[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does the chain give more options when hooking onto something it is also I believe the designed in weak link. Since we clearly lack anything so far that is more definitive on strength ratings I would cover my arse by selecting cable and chain that match the 5000 Lb rating irregardless of weather or not they look correct.

pduske

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I compare to the other parts on the photo, I think it is 3/8 or even 1/2.
Note: the highest standard vor pear-shaped links in the US is A-341 steel, but no 3/8 available, they start with 1/2 dia, which has a wll of 7,000 lbs.

Phil
bbloom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I did get mine built. Yes indeed the pear shaped links were not available. I had mine done at a riggers shop here in KC. I bought the strongest 5/15 chain I could find then had them connect it to the 5/16 cable they supplied me with and then to an old hook that I had that looks very similar to the pictures I've seen of the correct hook. They used a 2 piece connector to connect the wire rope to the chain then the chain to the hook. I will try and post a picture if I can figure out how. I looked all over for those pearshaped links with no luck. I would think this will work if I ever have to use it. Sorry I didn't post earlier but haven't checked the web site lately.
MVPA #1196

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDN M38 was interesting in that I believe it has already been stated they installed their winches in the field. They would not be a good choice to model an American jeep, that would have left Willys with it's winch, after.

Of interest here also is the M38 & M38A1 for the most part came with the Model 50 3500Lb winch. The 50R 5000Lb was introduced in the field later on. So just maybe all the book data is for the Model 50 3500Lb unit.

The chain is called out as 5/16" in all US supply manuals. The cable is also called out as 5/16" in all supply manuals. The part number does not change even for the 1966 -20P for the M38A1.

If a scored resto is what you are after in the factory class then you will need to have a jeep with a "W/Winch" data plate, a Model 50 3500Lb winch, 100' of 5/16" cable and several feet of 5/16" chain.

If you want a working and safe winch then go with the size/rating cable, chain and fittings that comply with the winch rating and the weight of the jeep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: