Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 52 M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

52 M38
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: 52 M38 Reply with quote

Guys I need some help. Restored my Granfathers 52 M38 to its original glory. Long and short, after having the original fuel tank fixed it's leaking again. I ordered one from Kaiser Willys and it doesn't come close. Does anybody know where I should get one? Should I go to Mr. Debella?

Thanks,
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tanks out there currently are all from MD Juan in the Phillippine Islands. you should ask the vendor you just used who manufactured the tank you have and then call each vendor and ask them who's tanks they sell.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
G740

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Gas Tank ReNu Reply with quote

Look this company up. The process they use will result in a lifetime warranty for you. On average, the tank should cost about $200 to get done and you are assured that you will have a tank that fits the body and will accept the pickup and sending units. MD Juan tanks, well you gamble. No other game in the market currently. If the franchise near you is substantially more than this amount, contact my Tank ReNu guy. Mike at 952-937-0557, tell him MWM sent you.
John
idiocrates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying the average cost to fix an MD Juan tank so it will fit is on average $200. or that the cost to fix an old existing tank is on average $200.? I have an old existing tank that I need rust-thru's repaired and the sender ring reattached plus some inside cleaning. This company has a rep in Houston so I'm going to see what they'd charge to fix it up.

'?? - M38A-1
magnum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tank was an Omix-Ada tank. I am going to get the original fixed again. The differences are so great between the original and the one claimed to be a direct replacement. Even the fill strainer won't fit in the mouth of the tank! Thanks for the help.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omix-Ada tanks were manufactured by MD Juan. Some of those tanks fit rather well and others are yards off. What John meant by the "only show" is that MD Juan is the ONLY outfit building repop M38 tanks no matter what dealer sells it to you.

His suggestion was to have your old tank professionally rebuilt. Personally I do not care for any spray in or slosh in tank inner coatings because they all will start to lift and peal sooner or later. Sometimes 2 years sometimes 20 years but sooner or later they peel and dump filter clogging garbage in the fuel system.

What I do is remove the tank and have it professionally cleaned then I cut out the bad sections and weld in new. Then clean prep and paint the exterior and while in use keep the tank full to battle corrosion issues.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
magnum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

I see now. The last time I took it to the fuel and radiator guy here in town that was pretty reputable. There is a shop 30 miles to the south that everyone say is the best. The tank has no visible holes and seems to be leaking from the seams at the bottom. Funny, I filled it for the winter and noticed the leak a day later. So I will get it in and send that "replacement" tank back.
G740

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Tank ReNu Reply with quote

The tank ReNu coatings are not slosh in type materials. The tank must be chemically cleaned first, then shot blasted to roughen up the inside and outside of the tank so that clean virgin metal is present. The coating is then applied and baked on so that it is cured. The Eastwood type slosh in stuff is junk and you are wasting you time and money. The ReNu process is the only way to go.
John
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: TANK Reply with quote

CALL THIS PLACE UP http://www.sappsinc.com/

ASK FOR JASON .. SEND HIM YOUR ORIGINAL TANK ,,THEY WILL REDO IT AND GIVE IT A LIFETIME GUARENTEE..I HAVE USED THEM A BUNCH IN THE PAST AND HAVE YET TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.LAST ORIGINAL TANK I HAD THEM DO COST ME $ 150.00 AND THEY SHIPPED IT TO ME ....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not have any coatings applied to the inside of your tank. The folks who swear by it haven't had it in there long enough to experience the flaking and peeling. Warranties are cheap for these companies. Most people unload their vehicles in less then 10 years and never submit any warranty claims.

The only systems that hold up are electroplating systems.

If you want the tank pretty for a long enough period to sell it to some poor unsuspecting slob then go for it. If you want to eventually pass your jeep on to your son then fix the tank by replacing pitted material with new steel.

After having a tank flushed and clean and finding no pitting or serious rust remaining there is no good reason to add any non-permanent, non-metalic material to the inner surface.

frankthecrank58

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with Wes. no matter how good somebody says some coatings are.....they're not. for the extra time it takes to replace rotted metal with new, it's the way to go. way more peace of mind.
G740

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Coatings Reply with quote

Funny, I have had my Dodge's tanks coated for 16 years now and never a flake. It depends on who and how its done.
Last comment on this subject from me.
John
magnum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sloshes, no coatings and never has been coated. Guy says tank is in great shape minus the leak. Thanks everyone.
SledDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just a leak at the seam and the rest of the tank is fine, why not just use Gas Tank repair putty on the outside? Its similar to JB weld but made specifically for what you are describing.
magnum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I new where the leak was. It is somewhere low. The tank is in great shape. No rust, pits, or anything that I can see. I will give this one more shot and go from there. Wes was right about the manufacturing, the fuel strainer would even fit in the outh of the tank no to mention other things.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: