Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Hello from the Philippines. I'm Rommel from MDJuan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from the Philippines. I'm Rommel from MDJuan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the complete M38 Door frames:

Here are the measurements.

this is the height:

and here's the width:

All for one at MDJuan!

https://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested as well. Please advise on price, delivery timeline, delivery options, etc.
Thanks!
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel,
I posted the following on March 5. Your response was that you would get with the team and reply. I have also noticed several other questions about fitment problems such as with the gas tanks. Unfortunately I haven't seen any responses from MD Juan about them. I have seen you discuss making a license plate bracket and door frames but nothing that addresses the problems that are associated with MD Juan replacement panels.
I mean no disrespect nor do I want to be rude but I had hoped that there might be an answer to some of the questions/comments that have been posted about existing parts problems.
Thanks
Ralph Mutchler
below is my original post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rommel,
Like several have said I am glad to see that you have posted on the board and are interested in seeing what improvements can be made on your product. I am in the process of rebuilding an M38 body and have tried some of your products, specifically I purchased the right and left lower cowls made by MD Juan. My experience with the fit of these panals has not been satisfactory. I wrote a review for the parts review section of the forum. I am including in this post what I wrote about the MD Juan lower cowls hoping that it might specify some of the problems that are encountered on fitting your parts. I don't know if there is a mark on replacement panals that would specify when they were made as later panels might have improvements. As a customer one problem is that when we purchase a replacement panel we don't know what production run it came from or how old the replacement panel is. If the supplier has a surplus of a particular panel we don't know if we are getting the new and improved version unless MD Juan has a mark on the part indicating that it is an improved version. One of the panels I bought was in the gray primer and one in the red primer. I understand that the serial numbers on your tubs can tell us that.
Below is my review of the lower MD Juan lower cowls.
Again I appreciate your stepping up and contacting your customers directly and I only post my review of your parts as constructive criticism,
Review:
MD Juan
1. The height of the panel is at least 1/8 inch short.
I measured from the front edge of the step upward using a square, the height to the top of the panel was 14.5 inches. The original panel was between 14 5/8 and 14 11/16. I measured both left and right MD Juan cowls and the measurement was the same, 14.5.

2. The step is made wrong.
I had purchased a NOS front floor/firewall panel. After installing it in the body I attempted to fit the MD Juan left lower cowl. It would not match up due to the hat channel on the floor that runs underneath the step. The hat channel was either too long or the step on the MD Juan panel was mis-shapened. I compared measurements and angles for that part of the hat channel with the remainder of the hat channel on my removed floor and found the original was a match in all respects for the NOS one I had purchased.
The same problem existed for the right cowl but I didn’t spend as much time on it as the left.

3. The gusset for the upper corner where the fender bolts is attached making it hard to properly fit the panel with the firewall.

There is a gusset in the top corner of the lower cowl. This gusset has a hole cut in it for the wiper vacuum line and has a cage nut on it for the upper fender nut. This gusset is included and welded to the MD Juan panel. However it causes a problem because that gusset, at least on my original parts, not only is attached to the cowl but overlaps the lip of the firewall to get the panel and firewall to fit and position correctly. It appears to me that this gusset was added to the body at the factory after or at the same time the firewall and cowl are mated up.

4. The original panels, in fact the whole top portion of the jeep body had a lip that is bent down into a U shape and then another piece of U shaped channel is pushed or secured into the channel that finishes off the top of the panels. The MD Juan does not have the second U channel but it does appear to be made from a heavier gauge metal.

5. MD Juan attaches the cowl support that fits up under the upper cowl. The support does not look the same as the original and I think it inhibits fitting the part.

6. Lastly but very important the angle of the front edge of the cowl where it is supposed to meet the fender is wrong. If you bolt up at the top the gap at the bottom seems to be about 3/16 to ¼ inch. I compared it to poster board templates I made of the side of the jeep before I started taking it apart and to the original cowl.

Ralph Mutchler

[/quote]
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry about that. I think I was overwhelmed with the other issues in the other forums. And the way I went about answering the issues on the different forums and different models were based on whatever was in production at that time and is available in the shop floor. Unfortunately there are no M38s in process.

But don't worry, I will have a special M38 production run so we can make the assessment and improvements.

I'll get back to you asap.

thanks again.

sincerely,
Rommel

All for one at MDJuan!

RommelJuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of our original M38 door frame with canvass.

All for one at MDJuan!

pickle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I have been trying to get some pictures on the front license plate holder, and I am afraid that my pictures still are not as good as I wish they were. I still don't have my computer software loaded on my new computer. Also, I have not straightened it out, so that will come when it warms up here.

I will send these for now and get ones that are better later on.

the piece is a hinged metal piece, one side with 2 holes that mount to the bottom of the bumper. the other side has 2 slots, where two bolts would attach to various sizes of license plates. The hinge is a piano style hinge.

And one to borrow one from Pat's album:

RommelJuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to announce that we have finally been able to work on the issues that were mentioned on this forum.

Here are the answers to the issues posted :

1. The height of the panel is at least 1/8 inch short. I measured from the front edge of the step upward using a square, the height to the top of the panel was 14.5 inches. The original panel was between 14 5/8 and 14 11/16. I measured both left and right MD Juan cowls and the measurement was the same, 14.5. 

Action:
It is now corrected, the height of the panel now 14 5/8” (same as the original.)

2. The step is made wrong. I had purchased a NOS front floor/firewall panel. After installing it in the body I attempted to fit the MD Juan left lower cowl. It would not match up due to the hat channel on the floor that runs underneath the step. The hat channel was either too long or the step on the MD Juan panel was mis-shapened. I compared measurements and angles for that part of the hat channel with the remainder of the hat channel on my removed floor and found the original was a match in all respects for the NOS one I had purchased. 
The same problem existed for the right cowl but I didn’t spend as much time on it as the left. 

The step is actually made correctly but we just put a little allowance on the hat channels so that the user has some leeway and be able to do adjustments.

3. The gusset for the upper corner where the fender bolts is attached making it hard to properly to fit the panel with the firewall. 
There is a gusset in the top corner of the lower cowl. This gusset has a hole cut in it for the wiper vacuum line and has a cage nut on it for the upper fender nut. This gusset is included and welded to the MD Juan panel. However it causes a problem because that gusset, at least on my original parts, not only is attached to the cowl but overlaps the lip of the firewall to get the panel and firewall to fit and position correctly. It appears to me that this gusset was added to the body at the factory after or at the same time the firewall and cowl are mated up. 

We really do a little hammering on the lip portion of the gusset that connects with the firewall.

4. The original panels, in fact the whole top portion of the jeep body had a lip that is bent down into a U shape and then another piece of U shaped channel is pushed or secured into the channel that finishes off the top of the panels. The MD Juan does not have the second U channel but it does appear to be made from a heavier gauge metal. 

We install a “U” shaped stiffener attached inside of the upper side panel.

5. MD Juan attaches the cowl support that fits up under the upper cowl. The support does not look the same as the original and I think it inhibits fitting the part.

We will implement the correct cowl support based from the original on our next production.

6. Lastly but very important the angle of the front edge of the cowl where it is supposed to meet the fender is wrong. If you bolt up at the top the gap at the bottom seems to be about 3/16 to ¼ inch. I compared it to poster board templates I made of the side of the jeep before I started taking it apart and to the original cowl. 

We now assure the 105 degree correct stamped angle of the bend based from the standard .

All for one at MDJuan!

pickle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel:

I am curious, can you fabricate the front of the toolbox portion only that has the "Jeep" script on it....at a length of say from louver to to just before the corner, and just below the top (front)? I have a toolbox, but the front had a heater hole cut, and I would like to replace it with the "jeep" script, like my old one. I am curious if it is something you do.

Thanks.

Mk
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do this and offer it as a toolbox patch panel.

All for one at MDJuan!

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would help solve this issue caused by the Army's field installation of the hot water heater kit.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I could use is a patch for the dash where the steering column is attached. Bubba moved the steering over and cut out part of the lip where the left mounting bolt was.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No word back from DL Besinger or Ron Fitzpatrick regarding price and availability of the improved repro door frames. Does anyone know that info off hand?
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do this and offer it as a toolbox patch panel.

I am interested in the script portion....what is pricing, and how would it be available? I am in central Canada.

Mk
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone post a picture of the M38 door frame where you bolt on the lock?

All for one at MDJuan!

RommelJuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again guys!

So who can come to the Quadratec PA BBQ on May 11?

We plan to start at 9am with a tour of the facility. then a short presentation by MDJuan, discussions then lunch

It's gonna be fun.

We need a head count.

heres the address:

Quadratec, Inc.
1028 Saunders Lane
West Chester, PA 19380

Directions to Quadratec
From points South of West Chester:
Get on Route 202 North
Take the US-322 West Paoli/Downingtown exit ramp
Make a right at the traffic light onto Phoenixville Pike
Continue 0.4 miles to Saunders Lane
Make right onto Saunders Lane
Quadratec is 500 feet ahead on right, just past the bus company

From points North of West Chester:
Get on Route 202 South
Take the Boot Road exit
At the top of the exit ramp, make a right
Continue to the traffic light
Make a left onto Phoenixville Pike
Continue 1 mile to Saunders Lane
Make left onto Saunders Lane
Quadratec is 500 feet ahead on right, just past the bus company

All for one at MDJuan!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: