Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 CDN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 CDN
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: M38 CDN Reply with quote

Well figure I will start one of these.
Got the jeep last fall, it is now in pieces as it had serious issues including the frame. Been working away at it. The frame has been cleaned up, the remains of the rear cross member removed the welded on butchered engine mounts removed etc. It now is waiting to go get sandblasted and some welding to fix the front cross member.
Started taking apart the front axle, bendix joints. The bearing retaining nuts on the driver side were mangled by the PO using a punch to remove them instead of a wrench, had to get creative to get the back one out. I lined up a flat with the keyway and drilled through then split it with a chisel. They needed replacing anyways. however it was apparent this side had not been cared for there was water in the pudding mix and the entire inner shaft is rusted one end to the other.
Then today I opened the differential, scary, it looks like it was filled with pudding, unfortunately it also looks like metallic paint there is so much metal flake in it. The pinion is also chipped all the way around so looks like I am going to need to replace everything in there. Oh and the lovely cereal box gasket did not keep water out of there either.
On the upside I may have found an engine finally. A small farm shop near here was recommended he thinks he has one that was rebuilt about 20 years ago and never installed. Hopefully find out for sure tomorrow.
So many wonderful discoveries, and I haven't even started on the body or the rear axle yet Smile
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is a journey isn't it?! Keep up with the updates, there aren't too many of us Canadians on here.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not a lot happening, I picked up a used 12 gallon parts washer for $65 including enough used filtered chemical to get started. Spending a fair bit of time with that just cleaning stuff up.

I am stalled on the front end till I make the case spreader, probably look into it today, I have to go to town anyways. I really have to take the camera out and get some shots. Smile
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts washer is key. I did most of mine in the small one available from princess auto, but the bigger the better!

I was reading about your diff. Mine simply lifted right out with no effort. Have you tried soaking it in strong penetrating oil for a period of time?

Definitely take lots of pictures. They are invaluable during the process and are great to have even after the project is "done"

M38 CDN
52-30718
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out this morning with the camera.
So here is the diff in question.

As you can see there was water penetration, that's what you get for using a cereal box as a gasket.
Here are my axles, not sure how to clean the large one, that is rust from one end to the other. On the upside I did the shop test with the small one and it passes so I do not need to replace anything there.

There are a couple other shots in my album. I have a lot of other pictures but don't want to take too much space Smile

Anyways dentist this afternoon so no shop time today, but I might be able to get the bits to make a spreader we shall see.
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well made my shopping list, bought what I had to, $28 worth, and got the rest from the brother in laws odd bits pile. Get it all home mark and drill the pilot holes, it then occurs to me that I do not have large enough drill bits for this. Embarassed
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well back again, no new pics right now maybe tomorrow. Finished my spreader and hooked it up, worked like a charm, cranked it till things just moved and out they came. Cleaned it up and found another problem beyond the chipped pinions. The "case, differential" what I was taught to call the carrier is cracked. so basically I have nothing good inside the differential. "yeeeaaahhh" (that was sarcasm just in case you missed it.) But it is all cleaned up so it can be put aside for now, not sure if I dare to start on the rear end yet. Maybe I will convince the wife to help me put the frame away and drag out the body.
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drug the body into the shop. Things are worse than I thought. almost every seam is swollen with rust. To get it back in shape it need firewall, front pan. passengers rear quarter, drivers rear taillight plate, and the riser at the back of the front floor, plus the dash needs some fixing. I also have to grind down all the posts that got welded to this for a plywood roof, there is a rust hole in the cowl on the drivers side, and there is plate to grind off that was welded to the windshield frame and the body. Wondering if I should toss this and get a replacement. I would post pics but I forgot the camera out in the shop and it is pouring here.
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xamon wrote:
Drug the body into the shop. Things are worse than I thought. Wondering if I should toss this and get a replacement.

Hang On.. You're havin some real fun now!! Tear down was the least
satisfying part of my build as is seemed there were more negatives
than positives. Once you start seeing progress the sun shines a little
more often each day.
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that. I kinda like taking things apart. Went and took more pictures loaded them in the gallery if you want to see some rot go have a peek, on page ten at the bottom. Let me know what you think, is she even savable this tub?
and just because a picture of the steering column mount.

Xamon

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well back in the shop, it finally warmed up again. I have decided to drop this body and get an MD Juan when the time comes.
Went and got some quotes for getting the frame blasted and welded, $200-300 for the blasting and $300-400 for the welding. Not too bad. it will be about a month before it goes out though, gotta save some change.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has run off with my camera so no pictures today.
Got the tub out of the shop and got the rear axle in. So far it is all good have both springs off, broke one of the U bolts, opened up the drivers side and the diff. No signs of water but the hub is a bit iffy. The grease has that rancid smell to it and is that cake like crackley black. One of the studs was broken as well. but what I can see in the diff looks good no chips or anything visible yet, he used silicone instead of cardboard to seal this one. Have it tipped up draining into my waste bucket right now. hopefully be nice tomorrow and get some pictures and more work done.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my camera back.

Does not look bad in there. Having some trouble with the passenger hub, drivers popped right off when I put the puller on the passenger is not moving got it cranked and tapped it and nothing. sprayed it with some penetrant and left it with a light tension on it see what happens.
Have to read up on the actual get the axle out portion this afternoon.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to take the diff apart and take a close look at those gears. With all the chipped teeth I see I suspect there's more damage not seen and more metal in the bottom of the housing.

This is the best puller to use.

If you use a jaw type puller make sure you do not use it on the drum. Thake the drum off first and then the hub can tolerate the edge pull of the jaw type pullers.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a three jaw type and the drum was already off. much easier to mount as well as stronger.
Whole thing is coming apart eventually. You think that looks bad you should see the smaller ones.
Any suggestion for getting the axles loose? The TM is kinda vague.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: