Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 CDN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 CDN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you remove the bearing retainer and shims and seal the axles will usually come out easily. If not slip the hub back on and finger tight the nut. Wrap a chain around the axle a couple of turns behind the hub and give a few whip like tugs. A slide hammer will also work.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the hub on and gave it a couple taps it came out once it started to move, looks good.
Not sure what to do on the other end, I was drilling a hole in the axle with my puller and it still hasn't moved.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have already removed the drum then try removing the bolts from the bearing retainer and then pull the whole axle, bearing, hub assembly together and then you can set up the hub and axle in a press and separate them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking about pulling it in one piece just wasn't sure. No press but I have a small 4ton bottle jack I will figure something out. Thanks Wes.
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the axle out. I risked the back plate and drum. Put the drum on with the lugs and pushed the back plate against it then beat on it. Still have to separate the hub from the axle but its much easier to move around now.
Went to put the bars under the carrier to see how set it was and it just flopped out on the weight of the bars. Here is a pic of both of them.

And this one shows the lovely teeth, that gear is missing 4 opposite each other and the side ones are missing one each, oddly the one at the top of the shot is intact, very chipped though.

And this shows maybe why it was stubborn, there is a lot of scaley rust inside the tubes, but it does not appear to be from the tubes or the axles Question Not sure where it is from.

Onward and upward, or something like that. Need a 1 1/8th socket to remove the yokes then they are ready fro media blasting.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my socket and the pinions came out really easily, even found all the missing teeth, they had gotten in behind the pinion somehow. Removed the seals and bearings, the races are still in, gave them some taps but they are pretty stuck and my punch for driving them is a bit short for working inside the case.
The hub is still very stubbornly holding onto that axle, I will have to take it and the steering column to a shop and have them remove the hub and steering wheel.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cleaning parts right now, once things are clean and I get some new parts it will be time to start putting some of this back together.
I think I might have some "original" bearings on my drive shafts, they are spicer Canada ones, kinda cool. Now not all of them are that, the ones that sit in the U bolts are different. Most of the other bearings are timkin so I should be able to get replacements easily enough.
From what I can tell the last time this thing was overhauled properly would be in 65, it is scribed onto the pinion ring gears front and back along with a few other things.
No new pics, my wife ran off with my camera again.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some photos and cleaned up my shop a bit today.
Now I found this interesting, all the clipped in bearings for the u-joints are spicer Canada and all the ones in the u-bolts are spicer USA ones. Some interesting differences tto them.

So the back is obvious, little dimple and the ID.

The Canadian one has a metal cap and the US has a rubber one.

And then the US one has a second seal inside.

This is the adjuster for the parking brake, the yellow one is the mil. one and the other is a civ one. subtle differences there.

I think this drive shaft is pooched, unless this is supposed to be there?

And this is because I remember seeing somewhere wanting to know where these zerks are located, guess there are two kinds or something.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to clean up my transmission and transfer case today, this is gonna take a while. I pulled the transfer shifters off, I did not realize the cavity under them was that deep nor that grease and sand could form sandstone in 40 years. I literally had to use a chisel and hammer to get it out of there, and there is still some in there for later. I got all the other old grease etc off, took a couple boring pics so I will put things back in the right way around. Made a special wire for cleaning the shifter pivot grease hole, got most of it out then blasted it with air, ran the solvent through and more air for good measure. There are a bucketful of grease fittings on this beast that's for sure. Not sure what the PO was putting in there but it is tan and solvent resistant, can also tell where he was greasing and where he was not. There is a lot more not.
Hopefully get another piece cleaned tomorrow, left the rear output/speedo drive soaking.
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing with the transmission and transfer got them all cleaned up and rough reassembled, I forgot the oil slinger and didn't mess with the needle bearings but figured out all sorts of things with it so all good. It needs new gears, someone was heavy on the stick and light on the clutch.

Also while looking at parts took some shots for the master fabricators out there.

This is the safety chain clip thing from the m38 Canadian, mounts in place of the bottom two bolts for the pintle.

thought some of you might like to whip one off for yours or whatever.
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another short update. Kind of silly since I do not have an engine but I bought a carb a guy near here was selling. I figure that even if I find an engine with one it never hurts to have a spare. Checked it over as best I could before buying it then pulled it apart and cleaned it up after getting it home. It all looks pretty good, although whatever it came off was backfiring badly judging by the amount of carbon up in the horn. It actually looks like it was rebuilt, the outside was grubby but the inside was very clean just a super light patina on everything. Well that's it for now.
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well been a while since I said anything. Had some unexpected expenses over the summer so parts got put on hold. I have been stripping the body of anything that will some out, battery box, glove box, footman loops that sort of thing. Then I went insane and have started removing the front floor and firewall. I actually have most of it loose now, I need to work down the passenger sidewall and the rear of the passenger floor and tool box. so much fun finding and drilling spot welds, I think the guy that did them was drunk too, they are all over the place.
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would share the photo of the results of this afternoons work.

Still a few bits to grind off and a lot of straightening to do, then I need parts....
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drug the windshield frame out and started on it, I was amazed that the wiper motors actually draw vacuum when I use the hand lever.
Question though, is this an original wiper arm? it appears to be since it is green but thought I would ask.

Also question unrelated to the window, these brackets were mounted under the front floor, there is maybe a bit of green on them wondering if anyone knows what they are.

Only have one wiper arm but both acorn nuts are there as is all the plumbing including the valve inside the window and all the rubber tubing.
Balvar24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be one of the most well used tape measures I've ever seen. Thanks for the dimensions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: