Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - The status of the MV collector hobby today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The status of the MV collector hobby today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: The status of the MV collector hobby today Reply with quote

Here's an interesting John Adams-Graf article :

http://www.militarytrader.com/jagfile/what-shade-is-your-olive-drab

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kenc80

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a neat article and its dead on. I'm still looking for my first MV and I'm looking at A1's instead of MB's because of the cost. MB's are just too doggone much money.
spec4don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of hit the nail on the head. Although as people pass on I see more estate sales. You know" my dad owned this for years and I'm (not the least bit intersted in any this crap my dad has I just want the money) hoping it goes to a good home." Rolling Eyes

Maybe keep it in the family? Like maybe keep your dad's uniforms and medals ect. Novel thought. Sorry to be a little cynicle.

Don G.
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in at least keeping uniforms and such, or at least donate to a museum to share. As interests go though, the fact is not everybody is going to like what everyone else is or was into, including family. Besides, a vehicle collection isn't something easily stowed away in a closet in the back room. Very Happy
evilamerican

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for others but my children and I have discussed my hobbies and collections. The possessions that I valued most (mostly guns and Jeeps) will only go to someone I know will love them like I did. If it is not something the kids have shown a serious interest in, they will not get them when I am gone. Most will be given away to people of my choosing once I am too old to actively enjoy them.

I just breaks my heart when someone leaves an incredible collection to a relative and the first thing they do is hold an auction.
frankthecrank58

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it's my time to go, my daughter will be donating my m-38 to a military museum. she doesn't share my affection for the vehicle so that's what will happen. alright by me
Aeroboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About ten years ago, as a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association's Warbird division, I read a similar article about the future of collecting, refinishing, and displaying military aircraft. The article photo was of a young boy looking at his reflection in the polished aluminum prop spinner of a P-51 Mustang. Caption reading to effect of "What will the future of Warbirds be?"

It was a bit irritating, because I knew that even though I work in the aviation industry and did so because of aircraft like the Mustang, I could never be able to own and operate a WWII fighter aircraft like that. It's going to be those with tons of money that keep that hobby going and my membership ran out. Unless that boy in the article was in a family that owned these rare aircraft, chances are he'd never be able to afford one.

Now, I start seeing more interest in the cheaper "warbird" aircraft like the Vietnam era Cessna O-2. Same with military vehicles. While I am a true blue Jeep nut, I would not say that the MB/M38/M38A1 is the pinnacle of military vehicles, simply one of the easiest, cheapest, entry level approaches. If money wasn't an issue I'm sure most hobbyists would rather be driving a Sherman tank, a Half-Track, or M26 Dragon Wagon around.

I don't expect my children to have the same interests I do. If I died tomorrow, they would hard pressed to even know what it all is, let alone what to do with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: