Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Synthetic Enamel Reducer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synthetic Enamel Reducer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Synthetic Enamel Reducer Reply with quote

I just purchased my paint from AJP and I am looking for synthetic enamel reducer. I went to NAPA as recommended on the AJP website but the guys at NAPA looked at me with a blank stare. Does anyone have a can of this reducer with the part number on it? I also called a couple of automotive paint suppliers with the same result. I will continue to search on line and call paint suppliers but if anyone has the NAPA part number for this reducer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to the hardware store and buy a gallon of Xylene... That is what I use for Gillespie paints... Mix 2:1 paint to thinner and good to go...

Hope this helps...
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reducer Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check it out.
BobW

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that Xylene evaporated too quickly. I have better luck with NAPA Synthol 8004 Medium evaporating reducer.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine for me here in OK, then again at temp of 100 works great...

Then again I am not generally doing large jobs... a fender, tire rims etc...
Sadler5

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Synthetic Enamel Reducer Reply with quote

I use VASPRO Hardner with an acetone thinner. The hardner is purchased at TSC (Tractor Supply).
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A medium evaporating enamel reducer is probably what you need.

The high evaporating is for colder weather and the slow is for warmer weather.

I think they probably misinterpreted the term "synthetic" when AJP put that on the directions.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

That's my motto Cool
DJ

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupont 3812s or OMNI MR186. The Dupont was fast drying, The Omni was medium. The Omni came from my Napa store ,Dupont from Car Quest.
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

That's all great information guys. I want to keep it as simple as possible as this is my first paint job. I'll check out the NAPA Synthol 8004. I've read posts from people that say using hardener brings out more gloss. I'd like to just mix in one reducer as opposed to two agents.

Bob, did you mix in the reducer at a 2:1 ratio? Also, did you use any metalprep on bare metal such as the frame? I am wondering if the Gellispie paint is compatible with metalprep.

Thanks,

Dave
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use metal prep before priming. It is a phosphoric acid based product that will help stop and remove rust.

Yes, hardener can bring out more gloss, but you should not need a lot of hardener.
If you don't use the hardener, it can take over a month to cure so that the paint will be soft for a long time.
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Tips Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. I think this is all a matter of understanding how these hardeners and thinners react with the paint. Having no experience, i'll have to learn by trial and error. I may go the Xylene route if I can find a local supply. I'll check Ace hardware. I'd hate to use a product that I cannot get locally. I'll probably be painting my frame sometime this summer so it may be hot in the garage. I am wondering if the xylene may not do so well in the heat. The medium reducer sounds like a better way to go. Also, the acetone thinner sounds like something that I can pick up at the local hardware store but I want to make sure it is compatible with the Gellispie paint. I will for sure be using metal prep on the frame prior to applying a primer coat.

There are no Tractor supply stores anywhere near me plus the closest supply of NAPA synthol 8004 is in Phoenix (I am in SoCal).
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Xylene Reply with quote

I did some searching and xylene seems to be the convention in the G503 circle. I bought one gallon of xylene and will be using a small amount of hardener also. I'll give it a shot and if I don't like the results, i'll regroup and try again. The questions I asked are very common and I found lots of good information using the search function.

Thanks,

Dave
TomM

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Dave,
I suspect California has laws that are limiting the availability of Synthetic Enamel Reducer. Like a lot of guys, I purchased it from NAPA for a Gillespe spray job. My local NAPA doesn't stock it but they got it and I didnt have to pay a hazmat shipping charge. The hardner brought up a slight sheen and is by no means glossy. It looks good, is a little more durable and I doubt you wil be dissappointed.
As mentioned, xylene evaporates quickly. The down side of this is that when you spray it may not allow overspray to settle and blend nicely. A finish might get "sandy". Enamel reducer with the right temp range gives you flexibility in different temps.
You are doing the right thing with a test patch. Get the feel of how much to put on without running and see how fast it flashes off. These paints are very forgiving and you will be able to come up with a first class job with very little practice.
I'm fooling with some acrylic enamel now and will shoot my M38 within the month. Lucky my NAPA shop still stocks acrylic enamel reducer too. Both acrylic and synthetic enamels are getting harder to find.

Tom
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Now, I am looking for the hardener. Most paint places are not willing to go out on a limb and tell me if thier brand of hardener is compatible with Gellispie. I'll find something around here eventually. I'd rather live with a little extra gloss or sheen and have a more durable paint job.
TomM

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: catalyst - hardner Reply with quote

I never did find a "Gillespe" hardner and you reminded me how rare it is to find synthetic enamel hardner off the shelf. Manufacturers are a bit leery of cross breeding their products but the synthetic enamels seem pretty forgiving.
I ended up purchasing hardner from Rapco. If you are still stuck, PM me because I think they also had given me an alternate supplier. I will be able to check records at the end of the week.
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: