Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I currently have
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I currently have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: I currently have Reply with quote

Lucas SAE Heavy Duty 80/90W in my transfer-case and transmission. It is GL4/GL5 rated. Do I need a lower GL rated gear oil? I know you told me about the steering gear box Wes, I'm wondering if I will have the same problems with the Transmission and Transfercase. And Differentials, for that matter.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its hypoid oil, which if for differentials. I hope it doesn't contain sulphur, which likes to eat brass synchros.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sulpher content in most new GL4 & GL5 is higher and attacks non-ferrous parts like brass and bronze bushings and synchro gears. Most salesman are talking it down but it's foolish for you to make your jeep the test bed.

Hypoid type gear oils are only needed in the front and rear diffs. All other gears were meant to run in plain gear oil. Plain gear oil is rated GL2 and can still be found but usually not on the Walmart and Kmart shelves. Either run GL-2 or 50 to 60 weight racing type engine oil in the tranny/transfer

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric from Novak Conversions (which rebuilt the transfercase and transmission for me) suggested I use Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer in the differential to cut down on overdrive whine (we isolated the noise to the overdrive). I have since read something (on the internet forums, so not substantiated) about that additive having a high sulpher content. I will pick up NAPA GL4 tomorrow Wes, any advice on the additive?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you picking up GL4 tomorrow? It is GL-2 that is the low sulpher lube. GL4 & GL5 are about the same. Better re-read my post above.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting Redline GL4, which states that it is safe for "yellow metals".
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after I just explained that the sales folks for those GL4 & 5 products are saying it's fine to use with yellow metals without any supporting test data? You actually like the idea of your jeep being their test buggy?

Your gear boxes have never needed any grade of Hypoid oil which is designed for high tooth load differentials which have Hypoid type gears in them. Your tranny, transfer and OD have no Hypoid type gears so why waste the bucks and take the risk that just maybe their next batch of GL4 has a wee bit more sulpher than the last one!!!! Go to your nearest farm tractor supply outfit and buy a good quality standard gear oil. You ask for help with a lubricant issue then instead of listening to the technicians you are listening to the lubricant salesman? Confused

elias929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great difficulty finding gl2 in my area. I am for traditional oils but gl2 is not found. All my automotive parts suppliers we said, it is very difficult to find gl2 today. Amsoil was the only with Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 GL4. I'm not too synthetic for our old vehicles, but here:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

I found also this product Lucas but Synthetic 50 wt. Trans Oil:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=372&catid=22&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Synthetic%2050%20wt.%20Trans%20Oil

Both products speak protection brass.....

But as said Wes my jeep does not have a test machine....

I'd rather find GL2. But if I do not find it, we must use what!! Confused
1962 UNIMOG 404.
1945 Dodge APT 3/4
1975 M151A2
M38CDNBill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I heard that suppliers for farm tractors have GL2 oil transmission for the old Farmall, Fordson, Massey-Ferguson, John-Deere and al. I'll check this week.

Cheers
elias929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check this summer with massey ferguson in my area, he said me: We only have GL5 because as tractors now use the transmissions of new generation.....
1962 UNIMOG 404.
1945 Dodge APT 3/4
1975 M151A2
billybob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: I currently have Reply with quote

I found gl-1 at napa. It is mineral oil base, won't it work pretty good? I believe it's 80-90 wt.
Beacher425

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Tractor Transmission Fluid from Tractor Supply is GL-1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg%3B-ford-tractor-all-mineral-90-transmission-fluid-2-gal?cm_vc=-10005
billybob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: I currently have Reply with quote

I'll bet it's about the same formula as napa. I paid about $14.00 a gallon at napa. I do like tractor supply, they have a lot of good stuff. If it will hold up in a tractor it should be good enough for my old jeep.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Wes is right again. I called Lucas oil, and they do not recommend their SAE gear oil for older transmissions. Their additive is fine, the gear oil is not. If you use their products, they recommend their 50W racing oil (which was also Wes's recommendation).
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: