Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - pioneer tools & gas can theft protection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pioneer tools & gas can theft protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenc80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: pioneer tools & gas can theft protection Reply with quote

Saw a guy taking an awful long look at my pioneer tools and gas can and he didn't look like a history buff. I came up and we chatted briefly but it made me uneasy. He was looking awfully hard at my can and gave me a bad feeling.

Have you guys had any issues with theft of your axe/shovel etc. I'm new to this still so this will be my first summer with the MV in public. Do you guys take any precautions?

I wish I could epoxy the axe in place but obviously that wouldnt work well.

Any thoughts? Ideas?
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem but I live in a small midwestern town - not much crime. But I don't leave it sitting in a public lot for any length of time, either. I do have a hidden shut-off master electrical switch on my M38A1 which adds some securtiy. Few are going to know how to start it anyway ("WTF, you start that thing with your foot?!?!") but it will prevent the curious from switching on the master switch and causing damage if the jeep isn't started. People will come up and study the jeep intently but I don't see shovels and axes being high demand items to be stolen, they'd first have to figure out the straps and buckles on my M38. Anyway, a short handled shovel and an axe sounds like WORK and people aren't into that much manual labor these days. Your guy may have been thinking the gas can had 5 gallons of gas in it - now that would have been worth taking! You could put a bolt through the pioneer tool handles into the jeep to secure them, the can could use a simple biclycle cable lock to an eye bolt or seat frame. Or just leave the cap off the can - people could see there isn't any gas in it and without the cap there won't much incentive to grab the empty can.
kenc80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have the electrical shut off too. Definitely not worried about someone stealing it - I agree with you most common thieves couldnt start it, much less get it in gear and drive it! Smile I worry more about someone flatbedding it for the steel.

I read about the crazy lengths idiots go to steal copper and what not and you know sometimes you just worry.

Just dont want someone making off with my original can. Hate to have to get a NOS. Maybe I should just get a replica to put on there and keep the original on the shelf for special days or something. Its got a really cool patina to it.
BullRun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in awhile you'll see a USMC jeep with a metal tab with a hole welded to the transmission stick. This is for a chain and padlock to be attached to the steering wheel preventing the jeep from being driven off.

I generally leave nothing of value in my jeeps just to play it safe. It has always been like that here unfortunately. Those antique gas cans from the '40's and '50's are really tempting I guess. Don't forget your spare tire can be stolen too. There are locking lug nuts to prevent that.

Fortunately for us most people no longer know how to drive a manual transmission!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has always been like that here unfortunately.
Can you give us a hint where "Here" is? Or you can have your city/state listed permanently by going to your profile and adding your location. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: GAS CAN THEFT PROTECTION - NO HOLES REQUIRED Reply with quote

I live in Italy where gasoline costs more than a good wine. I always keep my Jerry Can at least 3/4 full which makes its contents alone worth about $35.00. So I invented a simple "Jerry Can Lock" that is installed using existing holes in the Jerry Can Carrier. A bit of hook & loop keeps the padalock from rattling around. Although a determined thief could eventually get it off the jeep or get its cap off to drain it in place, so far so good. Fotos & dimensions in my album.
[img]http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album72&id=22062009_003_resized&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
dwm
Phil4280

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Well what I use to add extra security to keep my pioneer tools and other CES in its place on my M3 Stuart Tank and other vehicles... Prior to puting the staps on I secure the item with a heavey duty plastic "cable tie" or "zip tie" (that is what we call them in Australia) Tie wire can also be used.Then I put on the webbing strap. It helps to slow down any would be theif plus in the event the stap comes undone or breaks it stops the item falling off. Most times you are flat out even seeing the cable tie. If you want to be just that bit more secure you could use a hose clamp, though it would be a bit more obvious. This can also be used on the jerry can via the footman loop that secures the stap to the rear body and the closes jerry can handle. Or you could use one of those bike cable locks. But it does distract a bit from the vehicles looks.

Phil...
Latest addition M38A1 date e
kenc80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Water - Sounds like we need to trade some gasoline for a good red! No-Lead 87 E-10 is $3.09 USD/Gallon here in SC! That ain't a bad price.

All good ideas, I especially like the zip tie underneath the straps, connected to the footman loops. Thats a good one - Thanks Phil. I am thinking I may just get a replica can since I'm so worried about it.

Hurry up Summer!

Ken
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a good one, love the name!! Laughing
http://www.jagmte.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '51 USMC had a metal tab with a hole drilled in it welded to the bottom of the dash so the tranny could be locked in reverse with a paddle lock.

Not sure if this was a motor pool or bubba mod.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thick "U" clip that is bolted to the bottom of my dash, and secured with red Loctite. I use a padlock between that and the transmission stick shift to secure it when I'm downtown.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
JIML

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several accessories on my M38 (can, tools, first aid kit, M1 replica, field phone, web belt, helmet). I used small diameter braided wire rope, made loops, and secured it with small keyed luggage locks. I was able to tuck it out of sight on each item. Strong and secure. Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: