Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Engine Rebuilding
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Engine Rebuilding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: M38 Engine Rebuilding Reply with quote

Im looking for some one to rebuild a M38 motor, I want someone who knows these units inside and out, any suggestions apriciated, Best Regards Barnman

Located in Maine
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to list your location in your profile or post it with each post. You never know when someone nearby will offer a helping hand. Your chance to get more positive results from your post will double or triple.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
barnman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the state of Maine in the request, Barnman
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Willys L-134 is a pretty straightforward rebuild - any competant rebuilder used to working on older engines should be able to do the job. If there are antique car clubs in your area you might ask them for recommendations. Not every shop will be able to do the work so you need to ask questions. My local guy rebuilds old tractor engines for the antique farm equipment crowd plus the car clubs and did a lot of work for the figure-8 racetrack guys. If you don't mind shipping charges there are shops that advertise nationally for rebuilding MV engines.
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out your local CARQUEST Regional Distribution Center. Some of them have engine rebuilding facilities. Meaning they will do all the cleaning and machining to bring everything back into spec. You or someone else will be required to reassemble the engine.

Or, just about any engine rebuild facility should be able to do the work as the engines themselves are fairly simple.

There are some great videos out there of MB/GPW engines being reassembled with tips on reassembly that might make you want to try it yourself.

My uncle who was a real M38-M38A1 jeep mechanic in the U.S. Army gave me a couple of pointers on these engines.

1) While pistons over .60 are available (up to .120) and rings have been made for this jeep engine, at sizes over .60 the engine will be prone to overheating. So, stop your size increases at .60 and if a larger size is needed resleeve the cylinders and start over at standard.

2) If the head and block are decked make sure to get your block number recorded as it may be removed in the process.

2A) If the block and head are decked you may get a compression increase that will not be within specs so get the machinist to go easy on milling anything.

Also an interesting fact he told me was that due to the great design of the engine compartment and components 5 mechanics could remove and replace the engine on an M38A1 in 45 minutes from non-runner to drive away.
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails George at Army Jeep Parts is not too far away and they can definitely do the work.
lilm38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had mine rebuilt I took it to a guy that specialized in 50's classics and 60's muscle cars and he said the L134 would be a piece of cake. Maybe but just in case he needed the cakes recipe I gave him the engine manuals with all the rebuild specs and procedures for reference. When I got it back and started it up it was immediately obvious something wasn't right so luckily I shut it off after 5 seconds or so.
He never bothered to even glance at the manual and didn't know there is a particular way to put the pieces back so that little hole that lets oil squirt out which lubes the cylinders doesn't get blocked. When I pointed it out in the book he said " I've never seen a set up like that, How the $&% was I supposed to know it goes in that way?" I said "Well, it's a dilemma to be sure. Had you considered LOOKING IN THE MANUAL THAT"S BEEN ON YOUR DESK FOR 2 MONTHS?
Always triple check they know these engines and especially if they ever say "$&%, I can rebuild any #@$%@ engine blindfolded" because they really may do it that way.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw out another option, there's a gentlemen (term used loosely!) in the Weymouth, MA area that is an expert on restoring and rebuilding all types of antique military vehicles from MB/GPW's to M38's/M38A1's to the big trucks. If you want his contact info I can get it to you. A friend of mine from Sandwich, MA has a M38A1 that was restored by this guy and it has been running great for about 3-4 years now.
But everyone here has a ton of info and experience and can help guide you through the process if you do it yourself.
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: ENGINE Reply with quote

SEND IT TOO ME ..I GOT QUALIFIED MACHINIST IN MY SHOP TO DO YOUR WORK ON ANY ENGINE OUT THERE...PROVIDING YOU HAVE A GOOD BLOCK & HEAD .WHICH WE WILL DETERMINE AFTER MAGNIFLUXING EVERYTHING..

LOCATION IN NC..FED EX SHIPS ENGINES IN THERE OFF & ON..

LAST TWO CAME FROM LOUSIANNA AND COST 383.00 BOTH ON ONE PALLET
SFCKUNERT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Skyjeep50, does your guy do work on axles as well? I'm trying to decide if sending out my axles to have all the seals and bearings replaced is going to be smarter than attempting to do it myself. Let me know if you can help.

MSG Andrew Kunert
US ARMY

52 M38A1, 00 Jeep Wrangler

http://andrewsm38a1.blogspot.com/
artificer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have a go yourself....really is not rocket science. Moses Ludel will guide you through ANY major components like engines, transmissions & axles. As has been pointed out some folk claiming to be experts are no better equipped than the average reader on here.

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Rebuilders-Manual-1946-1971-Restoration/dp/0837610370
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guy does engines and engines only. Axles are pretty easy to work on to replace outer seals and bearings. Cleaning up the front hubs and knuckles is a messy job and sometimes the rear axle shafts don't want to come out but if you run into trouble you can do a search in this forum for detailed how-to's.
SFCKUNERT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does he charge to go through an engine to evaluate if a rebuild is even needed? I have a donor engine I bought that I want to use for my restoration but I'm not sure of its history.

MSG Andrew Kunert
US ARMY

52 M38A1, 00 Jeep Wrangler

http://andrewsm38a1.blogspot.com/
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent to SFCKUNERT.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I hope if your PM's uncover information that will be helpful to the rest of our members that you will share that information here.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: