Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Please help with my rear axle!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help with my rear axle!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Please help with my rear axle! Reply with quote

I went to install a powertrax locker, for a 10 spline Dana 44 rear axle, what I thought should be on my 1952 M38A1,and it doesn't fit inside the carrier. There are so many levels of paint on the axle, I can't make out any id on it. Here are some pictures I took, can anyone help?

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one for the Dana 25 front too, and that doesn't fit either. That rules of a Dana 41, 44, 27, and 25 I think.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/differential-identification

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/carrier-breaks

Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, the number on your carrier is that same as on mine for my M38 CDN.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email to Richmond gear, who makes the Lockrite. They said it looks like a Dana 41 or 44 from the pictures (the locker would fit either). They wanted to know what didn't fit. I emailed them back that the locker is too big to fit in the carrier, and I'm waiting for their response.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats to big? Not trying to be condescending at all, but did you follow the instructions? Those types of lockers go into the carrier in pieces, not all at once. Did you give them their part # you have in hand.
Their site shows their lockers as follows for Dana 10 spline axles:
Dana 44 2415-LR
Dana 41 2416-LR
Dana 25 2110-LR
Deadguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locker is too big to fit in the carrier. Even apart. It's a 2415. My friend Sergio did most of the heavy work. He's an auto mechanic and specializes in differentials. He had just worked on a Dana 44 for a CJ, and said it looked nothing like the CJ Dana 44.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he saying your diff looks nothing like a D44 or the locker doesn't look like it's for a D44? If he specializes in diffs, I'd hope he knows that you have a D44 there.
Are there any numbers on the locker itself?
Brett
Deadguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's saying the Dana 44 doesn't look like the one on the CJ he worked on. He does differential jobs for other garages sometimes, and he just did one for a place that specializes in antique cars. We tried looking for numbers on the tube of the axle, but can't find any. Where they should be, they are either worn off, or missing.
www.danhenk.com
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, this is the diff on my m38 cdn before I ripped it apart.

Now just eyeballing it they look the same, but you can just see on mine the various numbers. there are also pics of my carriers in my album if you want to take a look. Not sure if this helps but there it is.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ran the numbers on the locker by Powertrax, and they say they are correct for a 2415 LR, which is the locker I am supposed to have. Gear ratio doesn't matter, and it is 10 spline. Everyone says it looks like a Dana 44, I replaced the back cover months ago with one for a Dana 44, but the locker doesn't fit in the carrier. Any help identifying this axle would be greatly appreciated.
www.danhenk.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally a solution. This is what "Ben Dover" on the G503 boards told me
"The axle in your pic is definitely a Spicer 44, the 18530 on the Ring Gear is part of Spicer Matched Gear Set SP-18528X which consists of one SP-18530 43 Tooth Ring Gear and one SP-11449 8 tooth Pinion Shaft.
2415 LR is definitely made for the Spicer 44, but not for the Spicer 44 as installed in the 50's M-38A1 and CJ-5 with the particular differential for those two Jeeps. The Later 50's and thru the late 60's CJ-5's were available with Power Lock from the factory and used a special case different from that of the one used in the earlier CJ-5 and M-38A1. They apparently do not make a kit for the case (Carrier type) as installed in your Jeep."
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: