Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Jimmyrigged My distributer! Guesses on Problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimmyrigged My distributer! Guesses on Problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Jimmyrigged My distributer! Guesses on Problem? Reply with quote

I started a thread weeks ago about turning my distributor just a hair and it running better. Wes armed me with info on how to fix this. However now the jeep will not crank unless i hold the distributor with pressure as picture suggests. Furthermore the 7/16 bolt under the distrbutor is tight but will not hold the distributor in place so that it will run. I do not think its a timing issue but that bottom of distributor is not flush with block bracket? just the minute pressure or bump will cut jeep off. Could bottom of my distributor be rusted? the zip tie trick works well but i know it's not what i want for a long term fix. Should that distributor be rock tight against the block? mine isnt until i zip tie it.The motor like this runs exceptional ..... thanks for any help

[img][/img]
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look inside the distributor for a short that grounds out the points or something touching intermittently. Compare yours with the Technical manual photos. I'm in the middle of my own strange problem. John
joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking through the manual, the wiggle is between the distrib base and the advance arm.. I have tight en the advance arm screw(bugger ti get to) but it will not lock the distrib base down snuggly to the collar. With the zip ties I can bind the base tight agaianst the collar and it cranks beautifully. If not , it will turn ove r and over and not crank.. scared to crank down on the advance arm attached screw to stripping. Whats is the demon!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Take it back out. Is there a anti-rattle collar (friction spring) on the base (Bottom) of the shaft? If not look down in the hole at the top of the water pump. If it's laying down there then fetch it and put it on the end of the shaft and then the distributor should go all the way into the oil pump.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
joebuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes !!!!! .... So if the gap in the spring clip is not offset to the tang, then this could stop a snug fit?

To remove distributor shaft, do I have to remove the water proof cover too? Or can I just undo spark wires and undo advance arm screw and it will pull out whole distrib, coil , cover , shaft in tact?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if the gap in the spring clip is not offset to the tang, then this could stop a snug fit?

That's not what I posted. You must not have read the writing in the photo.

It warns you that it is a common issue for the spring to stick in the top of the oil pump and stay there when you pull the distributor. Then if you don't notice it is missing you will re-install the distributor and the spring will not allow the tang all the way into the oil pump resulting in the issue you now have.

I then told you to pull the distributor and see if the spring is still on the shaft end. If it isn't I said fish it out of the oil pump, put it on the shaft and re-install and time the distributor.

(Nothing was said about where to orient the gap in the spring. Makes no differences where you orient the gap.)

The common method to remove and install the distributor is without the outer cap installed. Don't play with the plug wire cap nuts or they will start to wear, get loose and allow moisture in. The cap must be off so you can always see the rotor since you must always make sure it is pointing to the #1 wire position when installing the distributor.

You are following the published distributor installation and timing instructions in the manual?

1-Plugs remove so engine turns by hand easy.

2-Rotating the crank clockwise when the crank pulley is viewed from the front, bring #1 piston at top of compression stroke (which is TDC top dead center).

3-Then turn crank Counterclockwise the short distance from the TDC timing mark to the 5 Degrees BTDC mark. The type of marks vary based on year of production and civvy vs military engines. Over the years many changes occur. Here are examples of the common timing mark arrangements.

Early M38 flywheel timing marks

Early timing cover mounted timing marks.

Another early set of timing marks.

Later marks with separate timing tab bolted to the cover.

4-Confirm the oil pump shaft is oriented correctly. This is important. Although the timing can and often is done with the oil pump shaft not properly oriented often this will reduce the available rotational travel of the distributor body for timing purposes.

Warning, If you are using the M38A1 manual, TM 9-8014 page 173 that illustration of plug wire locations is wrong and was changed with a change notices several years after 8014 was printed.

The yellow numbers on the cap show the correct wire positions.

Then follow the published maintenance procedures.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeBuck,
Did you resolve the issues with your distributor?

joebuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks Wesk. I started back from the beginning and checked plugs firing and found a plug that wasn't. So I bought a new distributor cap and she has been purring for a year now. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the final cause and corrective action for the distributor not setting fully into the block?

joebuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a faulty distributor. One of contacts was not supplying sufficient charge to a plug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: