Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering Bell Crank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Bell Crank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocThrock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Steering Bell Crank Reply with quote

The pin on my M38 failed above the steering bell crank. The bell crank is cast with #640184 W012C. I got a repair kit, but it appears to be for the later bell crank (?) with a larger diameter pin and bearings. Rather than get the kit for the early smaller bell crank, I think I'd like to upgrade. Do I need to get the "down ball" bell crank? Will it fit without replacing any other parts?

The old pin with sleeve snapped off the threads at the top of the bracket on the frame, then pulled out. Yep, that was a hairy few moments, because the pin came completely out and I lost all the steering going down the road. The pinch bolt was there and tight, but still didn't stop the pin from coming out.

DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears my steering bell crank pin is NOT broken, just pulled out. What I think I have is an M38 7/8 pin bolt bracket on the frame with a shimmed 3/4 inch bell crank down ball system from a CJ2A.

The 7/8 pin is clearly threaded from the top (pictured above). The 3/4 system appears to not be threaded at the top, but only held in place by the through bolt which pinches the shim and bolt, and goes through the notch in the pin. Evidently my shimmed 3/4 bolt just pulled down and out. Perhaps that's one of the main reasons the later models went with a heavier pin and bracket arrangement that nutted at the top.

As far as I can tell there's no way to get from one setup to the other without making major changes up front. You can't make a 7/8 ball up bell crank work with a 3/4 early steering set up as far as I know. I don't think there is a 7/8 down ball bell crank that would just bolt up to what I have. Also, I have not been able to find an adapted combination bolt that necks down from 7/8 (frame bracket) to 3/4 (existing bell crank).

Anyone know what all parts would need to be changed to turn my CJ2A/MB steering mechanism to a correct (and hopefully more robust) M38 set up? Drag Links? Pitman Arm? Are those parts even available?

That all sound correct?
jimm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your assessment is correct, except what I found is that 3/4" ball-down is MB and only early CJ-2A. Appears that late 2A and later, plus M38 and M38A1 all used 7/8" ball-up. All the correct part numbers for the M38 can be found in the Controls section of the ORD 9 parts manual, downloadable from this site. If you can find the equivalent for the MB, you should be able to use the WO (Willys Overland) numbers to cross-check and determine which parts are different. Note that two different diameters of tie rod tubes and ends were used on the M38, which accounts for the multiple entries in the ORD 9, but I think the entire rod assemblies are interchangeable. I see, on a vendor's website, a different drag link and bell crank listed for MB/early 2A than for M38/late 2A-on, but tie rods being the same for all (except larger diameter on M38 service and M38A1), so I think all you will have to change is the drag link and bell crank. And, yes, those parts are available.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MB system differs completely from the early CJ2A system. The MB system used a bellcrank mounted on the top side of the front axle housing and it's tie rod connection was a double female hole set-up that accepted the two tie rods separately.

Early CJ2A up thru SN 199079 (Summer/Fall 1948) Used the down ball bellcrank and steering connecting rod (drag link).

The late CJ2A up ball bellcrank is the same PN as the M38 WO# 647008.

So if you have a 19 3/4" left tie rod assy and a 24 1/2" right tie rod assy you will only need the bellcrank and it's hardware and the steering connecting rod (drag link) and it's hardware.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DocThrock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents. I'll do more checking and measuring.
DocThrock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CJ bellcrank, shimmed pin and civvy drag link. New bellcrank and drag link installed. Now I need to re-index the pitman arm to reset the turning radius for full travel. Any shade tree methods to remove the pitman arm in place? I haven't been able to get it off the splines to re-clock it with the steering wheel centered.

Thanks for any suggestions!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the engine and use a gear puller on the pitman arm. Or pull the steering box and use a puller on the pitman arm. You could try heating the pitman arm while cooling the gear box.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DocThrock

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I tried method 3 without luck, was contemplating method 2. Then my buddy noticed that the right tie rod was run almost all the way in, and the left tie rod was run almost all the way out. So we re-clocked the bell crank arm and the pitman arm by re-setting the tie rods.

While we were doing that, we noticed the toe in was about 3/4 inch. Bet that's a bit much!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are trying to rig your steering backwards because you were unsuccessful at removing the pitman arm to index it correctly with the steering worm at the midpoint of it's travel. Any attempt to rig steering this way will leave you with less turn circle in one direction and more in the other. If the lack of equal left vs right steering is fine with you then you could just leave it at that but there is still one small problem being overlooked. The steering shaft cam or worm is skinny at the center and thicker as you steer away from center. This helps center the steering back to center as you drive.

DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. Appreciate the explanation of the steering mechanism centering. Yes, the problem has been the radius difference, which is almost nil, but not fully symmetrical, after the tie rod arm changes.

Can I unbolt the box from the frame and just rotate it enough to get a gear puller on the pitman arm in order to re-clock it on the splines?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't had the cover off the steering box to see the condition of the worm, guide pins and bushings/bearings now is the time to do it. Remove the steering wheel, remove the horn wire and raise the front wheel high enough off the floor that you can get the column out. Take her to the bench and do it up nice.

DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice! Thanks!

wesk wrote:
If you haven't had the cover off the steering box to see the condition of the worm, guide pins and bushings/bearings now is the time to do it. Remove the steering wheel, remove the horn wire and raise the front wheel high enough off the floor that you can get the column out. Take her to the bench and do it up nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: