Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - minnesota m38 project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

minnesota m38 project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: another change of direction Reply with quote

I started working on dis assembly of a few sub assemblies. and I got a call from the media blaster. So I took the frame over this morning, and came back and loaded the tub and body parts.
He didn't think they could this early in the year but the weather has been so nice they started early.
I'm excited to see the parts with all the rust knocked off.
He does both sandblasting and soda blasting. so they can be more aggressive on the frame rails, and soda on the thinner metal.

Oh is my garage a mess, time to do a little cleaning and get ready for some primer.
eagle64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: why we do this Reply with quote

I once was asked why I do this. and I couldn't answer that question but I think this pretty well says it all. I can't remember where I found this but thanks to who ever came up with it.

RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Steve!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by Steve but accidentally in the wrong place:

Quote:
eagle64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:51 am Post subject: hopefully turning the corner Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

frame is blasted and today I primed it along with a bunch of other parts. feels good to start repair and putting together instead of ripping things apart.
Lots of work to do on the tub, I cut out one small section of the fire wall by the cowl battery box, taking my time fitting the repair section. And only doing one repair section at a time so nothing warp with a bunch of missing sections. I tried one spot weld remover drill and it is hard to know when you are through the first section so I don't punch through the good pan. I should have a different one tomorrow I'm hoping that one works better. what a slow procedure. But I'm making progress, I have 1 m38 covering two stalls of the garage. The new tires showed up today so that's another part of the project to work on

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: finally making progress Reply with quote

Finally making some progress, All new brake system installed I got the first coat on the frame, nice to see some OD green again. test fitted the steering and linkage.

patching the tub, to bring it back to original. It is easier to do a patch than try to fill in the large holes, someone else had cut into it.

eagle64

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: finally starting to rebuild Reply with quote

Finally started getting things put back together. the motor and drive train installed today.

most of the cleaning is done, now rebuild the sub assemblies and keep working on the body.
shooting for having it running by july 4th. it might be tuff to make that dead line.
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there Steve Smile
eagle64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: great day on the m38 Reply with quote

I just couldn't take it any more, I just had to try and start the old girl up.
it is far enough a long now, so a few cranks to get the fuel up and she popped right off. exciting news for me that I didn't screw it up to bad.
there are a lot of small things to finish up but knowing that she is running is a major step.
I did notice that the oil pressure pegged at 120, I thought that was high, but better than no pressure at all.
when this heat wave lets up I will be back at it again, now I can't wait to drive it.
RICKG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoo-hoo!! I remember that same feeling my 1st start-when it fired up scared me cuz I didn't expect it to actually PURR! It all gets better form here.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the original 24 V electric gauges and haven.t given them a thorough going over per the bulletin on gauge troubleshooting I would hook up temporarily a direct reading mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauge. I do this routinely on all engines I rebuild. You will have plenty of time down the road to try to learn to trust the 24V electrical senders and gauges. A freshly rebuilt engine deserves proven, accurate and trustworthy gauges for the initial run-in.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=46

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: a great day with the jeep Reply with quote

I have a few things to finish up, but I have complete enough to give her a trail run.

Just round the block but it was sure great finally getting to drive it.
issue's that I ran into, is she didn't shift out of 4 wheel drive and she didn't shift into low range. I didn't take the time to check it out. I was just happy to have her on the road
more problems with the driver, seems the area between the seat and the steering wheel shrunk! I have to set the brake peddle lower I hit my shin on the bottom of the dash. now if I only had a little more room like the passenger side I would fit better. not complaining I still had a great time.
I didn't have the small covers on the holes in the floor and I was surprised at how much heat came thru. I'll get her out side and take some better photos .
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Iola Wisc. Reply with quote

I was at Iola Wisc. military show this last week end. Friday was not a good day. it poured from the time we got up until well after we went to sleep that night, talk about rv (cabin fever). sat was a great day cloudy not to hot. and I like many other went shopping at the swap meet. I got lucky scored a winter top and straps for the m38, and several other add on or small parts I was missing. plus a bunch of mule parts, and other items I just had to have. I can say good price's, good friendly people and vendors. So many people I don't remember names, I believe I chatted with one of the moderators from the board here. maybe Dave? I always say I suffer from C.R.S can't remember sh_t. so if I chatted with any of you at Iola sorry I can't remember names but I enjoyed talking with you.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there Sat & Sun. Camped down by the red barn. Had a good time both days. I had originally planned to come over on Friday but I got tied up and didn't get there till SAT AM. I met Paul Sanders and looked over his great looking M422A1!

eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: well I sure drove by you many times Reply with quote

I sure drove by you many times on sat. I was back and forth so many times on the mule. I hauled parts back for several people that were camped by us.
turned right by the rest rooms 3 row behind the shelter of the left across from the rest rooms. There was a boy scout there that had his ankle warped and we gave him a ride back and forth several times. poor kid. yup I talked with several owners and darn they have some nice toys. several of them must have deep pockets, wow spend y stuff. I think that's part of what I like about our hobby, those that have deep pockets and those of use that don't seem to mingle well, and we all appropriate each others work. One fellow i talked with was an anesthesiologist if I remember right. he had some very nice stuff there. he also had a mule there. maybe its because we all have a common interest that it works so well.
thanks for sharing the photo

that's me hauling

one of the trips up to the swap meet, I had a GoPro mounted on the mule it is kind of fun looking at all the things I recorded
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately about the common interest!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: