Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - PS Magazine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS Magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: PS Magazine Reply with quote

This site never ceases to amaze me with the length and breath of information.

Under the Photo Gallery is a folder labeled PS Magazine - Preventative Maintinance - U.S. Army 1951 - 1963

Scanned pages and pages by Ryan Miller of a Preventative Maintenance magazine published by the Army. I have spent more time than necessary this morning paging through them, given how nice the weather is outside.

Two things stuck out immediately.

A toolbox idea originally from the CDN forces. 3/16" plate is welded across the back underneath the rear seat in the front and rear, and a hasp welded to the plate, and a lock attached to the seat frame. Anything in the toolbox stays secure and the seat can still be lifted.

The other item is one I've seen here puzzled over by many. The hole in the M38 wheel. To quote the article,"The manufacturer says he put it there to help him identify the wheel from those used on civilian jeeps. The M38's wheel-disc is made of slightly heavier material.."

A question for Wes. Is anything in these articles an option for Motor Pool Class vehicles given this pub was sent out to all of the maintenance folks?
Just wondering about that tool box as well as rubber hose cut to length, split and tacked onto the windshield hood rests to prevent the windshield from being tied down too tightly with the front strap, breaking the glass.

I have wondered why the M38 and M38A1's did not have anything on top of the hood blocks to not only prevent windshield damage, but scrapping of that nice paint job.

If you haven't taken the time to go through this you will be mildly surprised. Kudos to Ryan for taking the time and effort to provide it.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that Connie Rodd!! HUBBA-HUBBA!! Laughing
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get away with that today!

When submitting your jeep for judging you should make sure their judging rules are completely understood. Generally your choices are factory original as it rolled off the line or motor pool class. Usually if you select judgement in the motor pool class they will want you to specify the time period, the branch of service, the unit and sometimes the location that you intend your jeep to represent. Any equipment used at that point in time by that unit or that service is allowed to be displayed. So if you wish your jeep to represent an Army unit based at Ft. Stewart in 1960 then anything used by that unit during that period or any mods made to jeeps up through that period should pass. IE Comm equipment used in that period by that unit and conversely an Arctic top would not be appropriate!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woof!

That is some blonde, and she likes vehicles!

Yes, times have surely changed.

Wes, all of that makes perfect sense. I realize the MWO's and such document what changes would have been appropriate and expected on a vehicle. I was wondering whether the things suggested in this publication would be acceptable or would one have to find the TM or MWO to back it up.

I have no illusions in trying to put this old girl in a contest any time soon, especially since she is in 12 volts. However, I am trying to look for the obvious things to avoid at this point and going forward that would just require me to redo or take off down the road, doubling my effort.

Take care,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, generally if they appeared in that publication they were usually employed on the vehicles.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: