Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - minnesota m38 project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

minnesota m38 project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: minnesota m38 project Reply with quote

First thanks for all the input for figuring out my title. Now that I'm waiting for that to be straightened out. It's time to start thinking about how I am going to proceed with things that need to be done. I will try and take some photos and figure out how to load them on here. To start with she is solid and straight. no rust outs. What I'm looking for is the best way to go about taking apart. I would like to take non essential parts and body parts off.
I do have a new wiring harness to be installed later, but it is wired just enough to run. I want to start it every few weeks during the next month or two of our cold winter. I do plan on removing the tub from the frame this spring. Being is I work in my garage is it possible to lift the tub off with only a few extra hands, also removing the engine and trany together, mostly to blasting cleaning and painting. I know this is a lot of questions even to start with so all reply's are welcome. And I will start a photo album, a picture is worth a 1000 words around here. I already started my filing system for the parts. all parts photoed and put in zip lock bags marked as to where I took them off. would love to hear how you all went about it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you said it runs I hope you have given it several days of driving to evaluate the condition of it's drivetrain so you know ahead of time what needs to be fixed as well as what needs to be restored!

Your post leads me to believe you intend to only clean up and paint the running gear. If the running gear has been tested and fared well on the road tests then there is nothing wrong with taking that route. On the other hand if the drive train has not been tested then finding out after a frame off cosmetic restoration that you need to pull the engine or tranny again will certainly dampen your spirits.

The tub is simple to remove and can be handled comfortably by 3 men.

Maintain a restoration log that lists all discrepancies found (so you don't overlook one during the next few months), and a list of needed parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should list all that I have discovered to this point. Or where I think I'm at anyway.
engine seems to run excellent, no funny noises from the drive train.
tranny and transfer case function as they should and shift fine.
parts that have been replaced or I have in my stock pile here.
complete exhaust system, clutch kit, main light switch, ignition switch, voltage regular harness, battery cables and ends, plug wires, plugs, internal distributor parts, clutch and brake pedals accelerator pedal socket, throttle return spring, choke and throttle cables, carburetor, fuel pump, fuel line kit. I question the fuel tank yet. fuel pick up assembly with filter, fuel sender, oil sender, temp sender, new motor mounts, fan belts set, water pump, and coolant hoses and oil hoses also some transfer case mounting parts. also a full new wiring harness. I have a new copy of TM 9-8012 to 36A5-2-41, and just yesterday The BOOK showed up. M38 reference guide. what a wealth of information to digest.
But I do plan on driving it and putting some miles on it, so I want to cover everything.
again thanks for the reply
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Welcome! It's great to see another project come aboard. I look forward to seeing your project and its progress.

Brett
eagle64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: looked at your photo gallery Reply with quote

Brett I looked at your photo gallery, great documentation. a lot of the photos remind me of home, I really like the parts in the tree, now my wife can't say anything when I have them hanging on the clothes line. Also shows me how much work I have in front of me......looks like fun
again thanks for sharing
steve
ChuckW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, just wanted to let you know I finally got logged back into the site. Chuck
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
eagle64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted earlier that I was nervous about the gas tank because it was ReNu'd, this is because I have tried it myself and had another person try it on m274 mule gas tanks with bad results. So I was nervous about it. I have learned that this tank was ReNu'd professionally. I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression of this product or those who did the work. At this point I would say if you can have it professionally done great, if you are thinking of doing this yourself make sure you talk with someone with experience in this process. Not saying a bad product but it can go wrong if your a green horn.
my apologies if I gave the wrong impression.
Steve
eagle64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: disassembly of M38 Reply with quote

I was looking around on the net for helpful hints for dis assembling my M38 and I came across this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwF8mdQwlw
nothing to it. even tho it is a set up it is fun to watch.
eagle64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been having above normal temps up here the last week, and I have been itching to dig into the m38 and learn more. I took the bonnet off, and the front fenders also, just to get a better idea of the motor compartment. started looking for what needs more work and learning more about it. Looks like I have a little work to do on the radiator I'm still looking for where it is leaking. Other than that it looks like a lot of cleaning. I will post photos in my album of electrolysis tank I built to clean parts for my mule projects. it works great.
The rest is baptism by fire workin on the jeep
photo album is page 15 of the gallery
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Congrats, you have a pretty complete looking 24 volt M38.

The gauge cluster looks to be all there. Do some of the gauges have junk behind the glass or is that stuff on the front?

Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
aforests

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, nice looking complete m38. You are not too far from me. Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather. Sad when we think 30 degrees is warm!

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
eagle64

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron
I agree with you, another warm day today so I just had to keep working on the jeep, fired her up and ran her for a few minutes, It looks like when the radiator pressurizes the leaks show up, I had a pretty good show going. when she cooled down I pulled the radiator out. I figure now is a good time to get it into the shop and fixed before it gets nice out. So I don't have to wait for the repairs later.
Steve
eagle64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: warm weather won't last but spring fever has hit hard Reply with quote

with another warm day, which very unusual for up here, I decided to pull more of the covers off, I understand it better when I can lay my eyes on it.
so far I'm not finding anything real nasty. mostly surface rust, and a few parts that are stiff, I'm sure from not being used.
eagle64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: one of our first warm days Reply with quote

One of our first warm days and it didn't take me long to head for the shed, I've been itchin to get going on the m38. Kind of hard to find someone to give a hand to take the tub off so after a little thought I decided to try the engine lift. darn if it didn't work out great, I had to lift it a little high to clear the steering wheel but it work out just fine. I set it down moved the straps and lifted again to get it on her side, I was happy with what I found, no big holes to fix, I did find to spots that are a little thin but that isn't hard to deal with. I had a little trouble with getting steering wheel off (but I think most of us have seen this problem) I put a pulley puller on it 2 days ago, and hit it with Kroil to loosen it up with no luck, ever time I walk by I would put a little more tension on it, and just leave it, so today I'm laying under neath the jeep and bang it sounded like a shot gun blast. scared the crap out of me. but sure enough the steering wheel popped loose. For a old fart I didn't think that was to bad of a day.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing just fine!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: