Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Registration number and unit markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registration number and unit markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Registration number and unit markings Reply with quote

Hi all I am new to this webiste and iam yet not familiar with how I should use this forum correctly.

I recently bough a M38a1 completley restored. The car was imported from greece it served there in the Greek Army. I would like to order stencils and mark my cars registration number and unit numbers.

Data on the car:

First registration: .01.10.1953
Serial number:MD61075

Please help me with finding the correct registration number that I can paint on the hood.

As for the unit markings I need advice, I would like to mark the bumpers and bumperretes however US unit numbers would be not correct.
Therefore I was thinking of
marking on the bumper like: m38a1 🌟 1953.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to find your correct hood number unless it survives under the layers of paint on your hood. The accepted method for a replacement number is to use the correct prefix for your year with your serial number so that it looks good but is obvious to those who know that it is a made up hood number, and does not mess up the database being collected of correct numbers.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your Oct 53 M38A1 using your serial MD61075 with the correct registration number series for that date 209XXXXX will yield 20961075. You have a number that is reasonably close and in the future your number will not skewer researcher's data bases.

This board is where folks can start coverage of the project restoration and track it through completion. Since your jeep is already restored, unless you intend to dis-assemble it and restor it again I will move this posting to the Technical Questions board. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MG777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick responses. However my second has not been answeared concerning the unit markings. Are there any suggestions on what unit numbers I should use? Since my car is from greece is it reasonable to mark the bumper with U.S. Army, 1953, m38a1 instead of the unit markings?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First decide which branch of service you want your M38A1 to be from, Then decide which outfit you want and then decide the time period you wish your A1 to represent. Then google that units historian page and gather photos of M38A1's belonging to that unit during that period. Now select the photos that best serve your time period and determine markings for the unit you have selected from the photos and the markings manual applicable to the time period.

Up thru the mid 50's use the AR 850-5 with revisions up to 1954. For late 50's and early 60's use TB 746-93-1. These are the two most often used.

For the AR 850-5 you'll want the 1945 edition with changes thru 1954.
Here's the vehicle portions of the AR.
http://www.cckw.org/tm9-850.htm

Here's a link to the TB: http://vietnam.net.pl/TB746_en.htm

Here's a list and dealer addy to buy any of the marking manuals in paper.

Quote:
Manual choices for markings of MV’s.
https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Military_Marking_And_Painting_Publications.htm
AR 850-5

U.S. ARMY VEHICLE MARKINGS 1945-1954
This is a 1945 U.S. Government printing office publication. The purpose of this manual is to perscribe a uniform system of permanent markings for military supplies, equipment, and vehicles. The markings herein perscribed are intended to provide a convenient means, consistent with security, of identifying military property as property of the War Department, and of associating such property with the individual and/or organization authorized to use it, or to which it is organically assigned. All War Department property will be marked according to perscribed methods outlined in these regulations, wheather it is being used by officers or enlisted personnel.
86 Pages...........................................$ 22.50
AR 850-10
REGISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
This is a 1942 War Department publication. This manual describes the term "registration" as defined for the use in these regulations as including all processes incident to recording the names of motor vehicles, their location, characteristics, date of procurement, cost of complete vehicles, registration symbols and numbers, and assignments, together with such additional data as may be required for ready identification and control.
6 Pages..............................................$ 5.00
TB-43-0209
COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES, CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT
This is a 1976 Department of the Army publication. This bulletin is published to implement AR-750-58 in defining the color marking and camouflage pattern painting requirements for Department of the Army military vehicles ( except vehicles in administrative use ), construction and highway maintenance equipment and self-propelled materials handling equipment.
280 Pages.........................................$ 45.00
TB 746-93-1

COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES, CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT
This is a 1964 Department of the Army publication. This bulletin is published to define the clor and marking requirements for Department of the Army Military vehicles.
62 Pages.........................................$ 22.50
TB-746-95-1
COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN PAINTING FOR ARMAMENT COMMAND EQUIPMENT
This is a 1976 Department of the Army publication. This bulletin prescribes the colors and patterns to be used for the camouflage of ARMCOM equipment which requires camouflage pattern painting and provides a uniform system of marking such equipment. Additional camouflage patterns will be added as new equipment is developed.
69 Pages...........................................$ 22.50

TM 9-213
PAINTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR FIELD USE
This is a 1962 Department of the Army publication. This manual is published to acquaint the novice with basic principles of lettering and sign painting. Only practice will make him capable of executing such an assignment with passable proficiency.
114 Pages.........................................$ 35.00
TM 9-2851
This is a 1947 Department of the Army publication. This manual is published for the information and guidance of all Army personnel concerned with field painting of Army materiel. It also contains information which makes the manual convenient source of reference on the subject of painting.
185 Pages.........................................$ 35.00

TM 38-414
ARMY MARKING DIRECTIVE
This is a 1945 War Department Publication. This manual is published to provide to information on the identification and marking of supplies for oversea shipment.
63 Pages.........................................$ 22.50

TM-43-0139
This is a 1986 Department of the Army publication. This manual is published to provide information and guidance to personnel charged with painting and marking equipment for which the U.S. Army has responsibility. This manual discusses the purpose of painting, paint terminology, techniques of mixing, causes of paint failures, and corrective and preservation procedures. It contains information on paint systems, techniques for application, as required, and painting equipment.
130 Pages.........................................$ 35.00

MIL-STD-129D
MILITARY STANDARD MARKING FOR SHIPMENT AND STORAGE
This is a 1964 Department of the Army publication. This manual is provides the requirements for the uniform marking of military supplies and equipment for shipment and storage. It accommodates the requirements for coded and in the clear data and form requires by Military Standard Requisitioning and Issue Procedure (MILSTRIP) and Military Standard Transportation and Movement Procedures (MILSTAMP) for movement processing.
84 Pages.........................................$ 22.50

MIL-STD-642E
IDENTIFICATION MARKING OF ADMINISTRATIVE, COMBAT, AND TACTICAL TRANSPORT VEHICLES
This is a 1964 Department of the Army publication. This manual establishes requirements for the marking of administrative, combat, and tactical transport type vehicles of the Department of Defense and provides a reference for procurement actions.
33 Pages.........................................$ 22.50

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MG777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Tp25 size and size:Fuel caution sign Reply with quote

Hi everyone thank you for your input. I am close to ordering the neccesary stencils for my m38a1.

However I dont know the font size for the TP25 signs and Fuel caution sign located under the Gas tank.
If you know the font sizes please write them here.

Thank you in advance.
Beast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tp25 size and size:Fuel caution sign Reply with quote

MG777 wrote:
Hi everyone thank you for your input. I am close to ordering the neccesary stencils for my m38a1.

However I dont know the font size for the TP25 signs and Fuel caution sign located under the Gas tank.
If you know the font sizes please write them here.

Thank you in advance.

The font size is 1" for both the tire pressure and fuel caution markings.
Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the fenders and rear quarters.

If the tire pressure is stenciled inside the wheel wells they are larger.

At least on the M38.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: