Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New here, Hi everyone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here, Hi everyone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcaseystock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: New here, Hi everyone Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

New to the vintage military scene, and so glad to be here! I'm wanting to purchase a running restoreable military vehicle (or at least one that wouldn't take much to get running) but I haven't locked in on any particular model yet. I drive a modern Jeep (Wrangler) and enjoy it's size and maneuverability. Looking forward to making new friends along the way!

Casey
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, hope you find what you need! Have you ever checked out eWillys?

This post will probably get moved out of this catagory.

Brett
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya.. Casey's gotta 1/4T trailer he wants to ID..
Welcome aboard Casey Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, Welcome aboard. I'll leave the post here since you mentioned on your registration request you primarily wanted to ID your trailer right now. You will need to post a photo or two of it. Or you can research it on the CJ3B's trailer page: http://bantamt3c.com/

Hubbards guide is the best source for ID'g 1/4 ton jeep trailers.
http://bantamt3c.com/images/hubbard/Pages/Bantam.html

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mcaseystock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Casey, Welcome aboard. I'll leave the post here since you mentioned on your registration request you primarily wanted to ID your trailer right now. You will need to post a photo or two of it. Or you can research it on the CJ3B's trailer page: http://bantamt3c.com/

Hubbards guide is the best source for ID'g 1/4 ton jeep trailers.
http://bantamt3c.com/images/hubbard/Pages/Bantam.html

Thanks so much for the links, I'll be checking them out soon Smile
As for posting the pictures, I'd love too, but I'm having trouble figuring out just how to do it on here Sad
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album102&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the rules:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

Here's the tutorial for loading your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the tutorial for posting your photos:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mcaseystock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures!! Wow, I sure hope you guys can help me ID this rascal!

actually after doing the picture post thing, it felt familiar and then I started remembering my old "My Space" days. I had just forgotten how to do it because it has been so long. Thanks so much for the help in getting them posted.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's not a military trailer. I also perused a few hundred commercial utility trailers and could not find one with even the slightest resemblance.

mcaseystock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
She's not a military trailer. I also perused a few hundred commercial utility trailers and could not find one with even the slightest resemblance.

Yes, for sure a rare bird. I was going with home built, or at least that the fenders had been replaced somewhere along the way and then I came across this picture

when I saw the fenders were just like mine, then I knew mine wasn't a "one of" also, the blue paint and red oxide primer is what was on mine when I got it. I did a double take when I first saw the picture and then realized it didn't have the extra straps welded to the fenders, it had a good bit more of it's blue paint and a lot less surface rust than mine, but the biggest thing was the date of the picture was after I had purchased mine.
mcaseystock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some pictures of a manufacture named "Converto" I understand that their military dump trailer is pretty popular, but it seems that they also built some civilian trailers. Some of the design characteristics are very similar to mine, so I wondered if mine was a variation of one of theirs or a different production year. I'm thinking about calling the company and seeing if there is an old timer that has been around for a while to talk to or see if maybe they have any old photo records? Might be worth a try.

Here are a few pictures of a rusty Converto (imagine it with hints of red oxide and faded blue patches and you'll get an image of mine when I first got it, even the badly bent front panel)

There are some major differences in the way the frame is made and I have a different axle under mine. My axle is a square tube one and the spring and hangers are identical to one that would have been under an early 40's military 1/4 ton utility built by Spen. Mine even has the screw on grease caps. I also noticed that the hitch ball lock on mine (the likes of which I had never seen before) is the same as this old Converto's above and a few other trailers that are said to have been manufactured in the 40's so I'm guessing mine is from the same time era (sometime in the 40's) narrowing things down a little anyway.
mcaseystock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures of mine with the tarp pulled back for a better comparison.

mcaseystock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned that this might be a Spen even though it isn't patterned in the M100 style. The original blue paint was suggested to be for the Marines. I've seen the M100 style Spen trailers that were produced for the Marines, but has anyone heard of Spen producing a lower side style like mine? Maybe they requested one with a tailgate and lower sides for easier loading? The mystery continues.....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that very much. Military trailers were tailored to their specified primary use vehicle. They matched the track width and tire/wheel of the pulling truck. I would suggest you enjoy the utility of your trailer and when you find the jeep you are looking for then search for the matching trailer IE MB/GPW gets a MBT or T-2, -3, Converto or early K38; or M38/M38A1 gets the M100 or late style K38; or M151 gets the M416 or late style K38; or the M422 gets the M416A1; or the CJ2 thru CJ5/6 which get any of the 30 or so trailers designed to match their size and hauling ability.

mcaseystock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm already enjoying it, have been for years. It makes regular 4.0hr trips to our other property and back again several times a year. It's my favorite one to pull.

It has whatever track width an early 1940's Spen has, the axle, springs/shackles and hangers are identical to the square axle under a Spen. It looks just like this one.

Maybe I should find a Jeep to match the trailer since I already have it LOL Smile Mostly I just like knowing as much history as possible on all my old stuff. It's turning out to be quite an interesting little trailer.

I thought I wanted an old Willys truck to restore, but now I'm leaning more toward a jeep instead. So many awesome choices that its hard to lock on, it will likely came down to what I can find available in my area or within a couple hours.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add your location to your profile so folks close by can let you know what's out there. I've owned the full gamut on jeeps almost. MB (now), GPW (1970-73), CJ2A (1986-87), CJ3A (1986-8Cool, CJ3B (1996-2005), M38 (now), M38A1 (1986-89), CJ5 (now), and DJ5D (now). The most all around pleasing ride was the M38A1 & the CJ5. I am 68" 172 Lbs. The CJ5/6 & M38A1/M170 give you a couple more inches of belly room behind & under the rim of the steering wheel. Also they offer 12 more HP with the F134. I actually have three CJ5's right now. A 1960 F134 snow plow jeep, a 1961 Project vs parts and a 1971 rolling chassis set up for one of my 225 Dauntless V-6's and my T98 4 speed setup. The M38 is down to installing the engine and harness. The 60 plow jeep has the engine & tranny/transfer out. When I get them done a quick resto on the MB then on to that 71 V6 setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: