Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Advice starting out on my M38A1c.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice starting out on my M38A1c.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redleg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Advice starting out on my M38A1c. Reply with quote

I need some general advice. I have a 1/54 M38A1c that has the looks of a standard M38A1. It has a couple of issues that I am not sure whether to make do and just play with this jeep or to get serious and go back to as built. If you will allow me to ask for opinions:

1) The jeep has been converted to 12v which includes removal of all lights ie. tail lights, bo drive, markers, etc. as well as the electrical for the engine. Is the conversion back to 24v worth the major effort and expense if this jeep is not destined for the show circuit?

2) The windshield seems to be a standard windshield vs the split one in a photo of an M38A1c recoilless rifle carrier that I have seen. The hinges are so very rusted that it looks as if someone used a shop rag or other cloth that would hold moisture as a shim so that the w/s wiould fit tight against the cowl. One side is so rusted that I can't make out the screws. Any advice on how to get this off to replace the hinges? I know that I need a new w/s gasket but that will not cure the problem by itself.

Thanks in advance. Love this new site even though I am just starting out.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redleg,

Returning the electrical to 24 volt depends on what you want to do with the jeep and how much money and time you want to spend. I would bet it would help your resale value to at least have the 24 volt stuff stored away so that it can be turned back.

On the rusty windshield bolts, apply heat with a torch to warm them up and allow them to cool a little and then try to remove them.

I hope this helps. Aren't the M38A1c models one of the harder to find of the M38A1 vehicles?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! The C is the recoiless rifle jeep and it's not surprising that a civvy owner went back to a complete windshield. Keeps out the rain and the bugs!

Ryan is correct that the correct 24 volt electrics will increase resale value. If the jeep is not intended for shows and judging then I see no pressing reason to push for 24 volts. You can spend easily $1500 or more to get her back to stock electrics. You can however start looking for the blackout lights and switch and wire them back in staying with 12 volt and just subbing 12 volt bulbs where needed and add in the turn signal system and use the gama goat full red lenses in the rear. This will get your external electrical looking stock and help with the military appearance of the jeep.

Returning to the C recoiless rifle version stock appearance will also increase resal value. You will see demilled recoiless rifles available every now and then. You'll aslo need the ammo storage boxes, side mounted spare tire and split windshield along with the rear suspension parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Redleg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of more info.

My C model M38A1 aparently was used by either the CAP, Civil Defense or other agency which would need a sky blue jeep. Everywhere is go I find blue paint even to the engine! I removed the jerry can carrier this weekend and found blue paint behind it too! The engine has a rebuild tag and although the location seems to be a location code, not words, etc. and I haven't made them out yet, the engine was rebuilt in 1970. I can only guess that at that time, the whole thing was painted blue and the split windshield replaced at that time.

I tried to sand the hood down to find hood numbers but had no luck. I have only checked one side so far but I doubt that I will find them there either now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: