Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - seatbelts....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seatbelts....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: seatbelts.... Reply with quote

Morning all, I need to install seatbelts on my M38. Is there a vendor out there that produces "period looking" seatbelts? I figure the only option might be belts from a 1960's Impala (or whatever) in black. I was also going to call Beachwood Canvas Works, maybe something custom made in canvas may look good. Any thoughts?
Thanks to all who respond.
Danny
1946 Bantam Trailer
1983 CJ7
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would carefully consider the safety aspects of this proposal. Having been an emergency responder for many years, I am a big fan of seat belts, but, not in a Jeep, unless it has some sort of roll cage protection. The thought of being held into a rolling jeep without roll cage protection, pretty much guarantees your death. Personally, I would take my chances with getting thrown clear of this vehicle in an accident. Just my thoughts.

Dan
Dano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, I totally agree with you. I would rather take my chances at getting tossed out than rolling with belts on. But just driving around the neighborhood without belts is illegal. Then, if you put kids in the mix, that borders on child neglect. I rarely cruise faster than 15 mph with my kids on board. I am debating on installing a roll bar. There's a big difference between not have your belt on and not having seatbelts all together. I'm checking Maryland law but I'm pretty sure that you must have kids in seat belts ( not to mention booster seats) no matter the vehicle.
Danny

Update: Maryland Law does not require driver and adult passengers
to wear seatbelts in a historic vehicle, but kids under 16 years of age, sitting in a seat of any type of motor vehicle requires seatbelts.
1946 Bantam Trailer
1983 CJ7
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many states require seat belts in any vehicle driven on public roads regardless of the age of the vehicle. Most require minor children to be restrained. Wearing a seat belt is a law in most states but many folks still exercise the choice to wear or not. However if you allow other folks to ride in the jeep then you should install belts and allow them to make the choice for themselves.

Roll bars are not often understood. The little inverted "U" bar that mounts on top of the rear wheel houses are technically called show bars because no manufacturer of them wants to accept the liability for your protection in a rollover with them. A roll cage is the appropriate device for real rollover protection. They mount directly to the frame at at least 4 points and often 6.

Rollovers do occur when jeeps are broadsided, or exit a roadway into the ditch or on extreme off road use but the majority of jeep accidents are actually impact issues either running head long into something or getting hit in the rear. The only occupant protection to keep you from impacting the dash and windshield is the seat belt. Again the choice to wear is yours.

Here's a handy state by state seat belt law application guide:
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

Here is a company that produces Retro look belts:
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/products/products.html?gclid=CL-sl86m_p0CFSANDQod-ibRpg

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

Many belts sold in the US are made by Beams and distributed through numerous retailers. Search on Beams and you will find retailers.
Here is one:
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/

You can purchase belts wtih OD webbing.

Tom
xheadnut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: seat belts Reply with quote

I bought retractable seat belts from an M151 for the back seat of my M-38 to keep my grandchildren safe, I got them on E-Pay for $40 for both sets.
STROKERACE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: LAWERS DELIGHT Reply with quote

WHEN YOU DRIVE A VEHICLE YOU REBUILT OR RESTORED OR INSURED YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.These jeeps were intended for combat not 5th avenue ,If mine will be on the street it will have dot approved lights and turn signal lights and gamma goat brake lights. Guys why take the risk of loss of life or loss of everything else . Think, its your five minutes of fun ! Good Luck, Stroker Ace...
xheadnut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: seat belts Reply with quote

Just bought another two sets of belts for front seats, they are off M151, paid $25.35 on E-Bay. Marshall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: