Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 53 M38A1 Project - a.k.a Lil' Bastard
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

53 M38A1 Project - a.k.a Lil' Bastard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave.

Jeep #1 is not completely done and needs the hood and windshield painted and some electrical but I do drive it every weekend anyway. I'm waiting for more paint to arrive but in the mean time I wanted to dig into some engine work.

Jeep #2 is going to need way more work. The frame needs repair, the tub was damaged at some point and I'm finding lot's of bondo. I don't have nearly as many parts available for #2 as most of them were used to build #1.

I remember talking to you and you were thinking of building an A1? How's that going?

The sickness is nothing new to me. I've been restoring bikes and machinery since I was 15 and the Jeep was just the next step as I was able to tackle bigger jobs. Not so much that I need two but the fact I have fun building stuff.

I'm sure you guys can relate.
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: M38A1 Reply with quote

The A1 is sitting on the side yard. It needs brakes and a few other minor things. That will be my desert Jeep.
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished painting my hood, windshield, gas can and rear seat. The hood was the easiest part on the Jeep as far as body work goes. It was pretty much perfect except for couple very small dings. Took some time to get the undercoating off though.

The windshield frame was in very good condition compared to the one off the radio Jeep (parts Jeep at this point). I just had to fill eight or so holes but no rust. It had good wiper motors and I was able to take it apart without breaking any bolts. Shocked

As I pointed out in my first post, I wasn't sure how the two Jeeps would come together so to summerize what parts came from what Jeep...

The tub, windshield, gas can, fuel tank, radiator came from the yellow hunting jeep.

The frame, tires, rims, fenders, hood, springs, axles, bumper, tranny, steering, seats and all small parts came from the radio jeep.

Engine came out of a willys wagon or truck. Dash, grill and 24v stuff were from a local sale.

Last edited by 53a1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:24 am; edited 4 times in total
ocwd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: M38A1 Reply with quote

Nice work Dave. Did you put the wiring harness in yet?
53a1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave.

Not yet. I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap one or maybe building it myself. I definitely don't have five hundred bucks for a new one. I have the old one and I figured out a good way to use the old pins. You can drill out the old wire and solder new wire into the old pin. I rebuilt the engine harness that way.

BTW, does the lady in Vista still have parts? I was thinking about picking up a engine head when I find one.
ocwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Parts Reply with quote

Dave,

If you are building a harness, check out this link. He is out in your area.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230557222565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have not been to Joann's place in a long time. I would like to go back as I need some parts for the A1. I could use a hood and grill. There is also a guy in Hermosa Beach with a bunch of parts. I'll send you a PM.

Dave
53a1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my windshield glass and gasket from MWM. I have to say this was the hardest thing I've had to do on the jeep to date. Even after reading all the postings I think I spent 8 hours total getting the glass in. I almost lost my mind as the glass would pop in then pop out as I worked on another section. I finally figured out a few tricks to help out so PM me if you need help.

The glass tint is a little different between glass pieces because the glass came from two different jeeps. The passanger side glass had some scratched from a wiper so installed that piece unside down so it would obstruct the passangers view. I will try to get the scratches out the best I can but I don't really care that much.

The windsheild rubber from MWM fit great and was soft and easy to work with. One trick was once I finished installing the glass I let the winshield sit in the sun then I worked the center strip into alignment to get it perfectly vertical.

I would have sent this out to a shop but I don't have a glass place in my area so I decided to struggle through it.

Also applied some engine stickers from MWM and the felt hood seal.

I started putting together another engine. Basically everything on the short block is ready to put together.

53a1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress on the engine I'm rebuilding. I picked up a Solex and civvy fuel pump in a past deal and decided to use those for now. I have a second frame sitting on the side of the house to mount it in for the test fire.

53a1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day today.

I got the new engine running and no problems. I built it on all the leftover parts from previous deals like the solex carb, fuel pump, air filter, ect, ect and I did the rebuild myself. I'm probably going to keep this one 12v and setup as-is. It's a civvy block anyway.

The rope rear main seems to be holding up for now as well as the other seals. I am getting a few drops from the very front of the pan so I will have to investigate that further.

I started breaking it in by getting it running nice then let I let it run for half an hour revving it up now and then and holding it. I used zink additive and I drained the oil after I shut it down.

I'm really pleased with how this thing turned out. I have so little money into it which is good because otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this request from Dave to move his build thread here. So ya'll enjoy.

Quote:
Hi Wes.

I realized you have a designated build thread section. If you want you can move my thread to it when you have time. Maybe it will help someone out or at least learn from my mistakes.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3475&highlight=

Thanks
-Dave Roy

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
53a1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Wes! And Little B thanks you also!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: