Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - How rare is a M38 flat fender?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How rare is a M38 flat fender?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: How rare is a M38 flat fender? Reply with quote

One of the things that I am amazed at is just how many new M38's ('50-'52) I see popping up either for sale or being fixed. Total production figures of them is around 60,000. WW2 Jeeps were 600,000 or so. Did the Military keep them all and then surplus them all? It seems there is more M38's than WW2 jeeps around. I see the M38 refered to as a very rare Jeep. I'm wondering just how rare. Anyone know? John
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that to. Comparing produced units, you'd wonder if the M38 would hold more value over a latter more produced unit. Seeing the actual for sale prices, it doesn't reflect that. Maybe MB/GPWs are a more desired unit for the time period they came from, making them iconic, or maybe it's like you said John, they surplused more M38's and scrapped a ton of the MB/GPWs.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read where they are considered the last and best Flat Fender Jeep that incorporated all the upgrades to a final form. Many were given straight from the military to Civil Defense units, State Gov't agencies, Fire Depts. and those that end up in private hands , (mine too) show all sorts of repaints and holes and modifications for different jobs. The one I'm working on now was set up to load a water tank in the back with engine vacuum similar to a septic tank pumper. I was trying to figure out why it had a vacuum gage in the instrument cluster. Then the plumbing into the intake with a site glass fuel filter etc. Wierd! Shocked The history you find out about these little Jeeps is simply amazing and very interesting. They are very popular. I was following a Wyoming surplus auction on GSA where there was 3 M38's and 2 M38A1's. Other agencies had the right to take any vehicle for Gov't use out of the pool of vehicles being surplused. Guess what, all 3 disappeared. Twisted Evil One had the hood numbers showing through and I wanted it. Oh well! John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII jeeps although 600,000 + produced the agreement between Detroit and the government required all that went over there stayed over there. Thousands were turned over to foreign countries at the end of the war. Thousands were destroyed in the war and thousands were scrapped. From 1945 though 1950 thousands were surplused out here in the US. Since the G503 jeep was the primary jeep used in Korea from 1950 thru 53 thousands were destroyed in that war and thousands were turned over to foreign armies that participated in the conflict. So using rough arithmetic it's easy to surmise that by 1952 the G503 jeeps in this country probably numbered around 50,000 to 60,000 possessed by the military, local governments and other government agencies and the general public.
The bulk of these G503 jeeps were no longer in US military service by 1952. They have been available to collectors, hunters and driveway plowers for over 61 years.

The M38 with 62,000 produced and very few made it to Korea and in most cases those that went overseas returned probably enjoyed about the same survival rate as the G503 jeeps here in the US. About 10 to 15% of them were turned over to foreign governments under the MAP programs. Yes it is slightly more rare than the G503 jeeps but not noticeably so and definately not indicated by current prices. The bulk of these jeeps were no longer in US military service by 1960. They have been available to collectors, hunters and driveway plowers for over 53 years.

The M38A1 at 120,000 produced from 52 thru 1971 suffered much lower combat loss rates than any of the previous jeeps. The bulk of them were no longer in US military service by 1985. About 20% of them were turned over to foreign governments under the MAP programs. They have been available to collectors, hunters and driveway plowers for over 28 years. Many are still operated by federal, state and local agencies.

The truly rare jeeps here in the US are:
WWII jeeps with proven combat history.
CJV35's
WWII MZ's
BRC series jeeps.
GP and MA jeeps.
Military used CJ's.
M606 series.
Marine MRC's
Specialty produced and modified jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
billybob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: How rare is a m38 flat fender? Reply with quote

Thanks Wesk for the good information.
ECVJeeps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there is the M38CDN unit that numbered only 2135 units. Again they seem to bring a lower value than the G503.

It is what it is!
M100 CDN #0548(in progress)
M100 CDN #0281
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the M38A1 info. I didn't know much of anything about them, but was wondering. They too, are a fine Jeep. John
BullRun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great post Wes!

Among the specialty and rare jeeps people should look for what others do not see...

In the last year I have seen a Holden jeep come up for sale and what I think was an experimental high floatation M38A1. Both for sale for next to nothing as no one knew what they were selling.

...still looking for a Bobcat and a Jungle jeep!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Holden ambulances be sure to keep your eye open for the few M38A1's converted similarly by the Marines.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: