Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - high amperage system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high amperage system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: high amperage system Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience here with the 100 amp system or the more modern 150 amp alternator?
I want to install a GRC 106 radio and need much more than the 25amps I get from the generator/regulator.

Will an M151 60amp alternator fit the older Mseries bracket?
If I get an alternator, could I jsut leave the regulator inplace (minus the generator and cable) to provide power to the ignition /lighting system, or does it need to be taken out and the plug shorted to provide power into the dash area?
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Knettle should be able to help you with some of this. He has copies of many electrical manuals for military vehicles.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GRC-106 uses a max of 40 amps in transmit. Therefore any of the larger military systems would work.

The 60 amp alternator found on the M151 will fit the bracket and would only require mating it's wires to the harness above the regulator and using a volt meter. Plus of course the switch to a 3 belt system.

The 100 amp found in the M38A1's TB 9-8015-2 Chg 3 is spendy at about $1000 and a lot of work to install.

Any civvy 24 volt 60 to 100 amp alternator will do the job. The GM's and Nippondenso's would be the best bet. The mount is easily modified for them and pulleys can be had as well.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any info on the more modern military 150 amp alternator for the M series jeeps and 3/4 ton trucks, part number PU-656/M.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen the Leece-Neville's up to 100 amp. The M151 100 amp optional kit uses one with a seperate 100 amp voltage regulator and three groove pulleys. The 150 amp military was used in the late 60's USMC MRC-83 installations into M38A1's. Have you looked at this site:
http://www.hypertools.com/mrc83.html

http://www.hypertools.com/mrc83.html

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
petesilfven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 100 amp kit for an M38A1. It uses a four groove pulley setup, and the regulator box is on the firewall on the left side. The rectifier stacks mount behind the grille in front of the radiator, and everything is tied together with huge cables. Wes is right, they are expensive.

Your best bet is to just get a 60 amp alternator from one of the M151 suppliers. Most of them sell tested takeouts for a reasonable price, and it will physically mount in place of your 25 amp generator. Get a conversion harness from Front Line Military Vehicles, and it will plug into your stock harness. Two wires go to the alternator, one to the starter terminal, and one goes to the ignition terminal of the ignition switch for switch-on signal. I run mine with only two belts, and it is adequate for most everything. On an A1, you'll have to remove the front belt groove on the pulley to clear the fan shroud or trim the shroud. Let me know if you go this route and need help, and I will send pics of the installation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: