Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Florida Bill Very readable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florida Bill Very readable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usma41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the eye protection part, but it also states that the DMV shall prescribe such safty glass's and they have not done so. The part of my post that say's that if the manufacture did not install it, you do not have to, i.e. seat belts and turn sig's. Wes everything you said and quoated from the law is true and is nothing but common sense. It stands to reason that if Willys did not install seat belts, then you do not have to bring it up to speed. I was not implieing that you just jump in your vehicle and drive like your a DUI!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply wanted you to acknowlege that your reply "None of the above applies to Florida" was simply incorrect.

Now you are shifting gears and moving to new areas. We are all aware that many items that were not installed by Willys are not NORMALLY required but you fail to notice the "Catch 22". Anyone in any seat under 18 years of age must have a seat belt on. There is no exception to that law and if you put minors in the jeep you have to install seat belts to comply with the law.

It does not say the "DMV shall prescribe such safety glasses" It says
Quote:
the operator and passengers must wear eye-protective devices approved by the department.
That list of approved devices is already available and they expect you to look the list up. Note all passengers must wear eye-protection. When you call the DMV they'll explain all the motorcycle eye-protection is available for you to use.

Now for the plate requirements.

Quote:
(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

(6) For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

Pay very close attention to the phrase
Quote:
used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display
This means that daily drivers used regulary on the highway will have to bolt the plates on!

My point here is it often makes us feel good inside when we can offer a broad general goody statement but when the cop is writing the citation that is based on one or two very clear and concise sentences in the statute then we all would love to get our hands on the throat of the guy that told us all was ok and not to worry.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's on a puplic hyway it IS on puplic display!
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After careful consideration, I posted the Bill for the members to read, and after five years of practicing the provision's of the bill, I will leave it to the discretion of each individual to follow the path that they wish to choose. The only time's that I have been pulled over has been for the vehicle having only one tail light, went it was explained that, that's all it ever had, that was the end of it. Since this whole thing was a grey area in the past, I was hoping that the Bill would clarify some of it. I absolutely refuse to modify my vehicle by adding amber turn signal's to it, adding seat belts that it never had,retro fitting to 12 volts, installing electronic ignition or anything else that would jeopardize the integrity of it's original condition. If you want to do any of the above, that's your choice, but if you do I suggest you go buy a car. This is an individual choice. If Willy's or the military did not put it there, neither shall I! You can take any law and pick it to death and still come up with numerous results. I had no intention's of playing a Webster shell game with the Bill, I'm not a politician. and I do not advocate anyone breaking the law. If your confused over any part of the Bill then see a lawyer. As for myself I shall continue to go by the intent of the law and not the letter of the law. After ten year's in law enforcement, I have found that, everyone, every day break's the law within a one city block of just walking (even a peace officer). As far as the seat belts are concerned, I personally do not believe in them especially in Florida where you have numerous cannels, case in point, I was watching the news one day when they had a story about a women who had just drove her car into a cannel, a passerby stopped and jumped in to rescue her. as he came out, his only remark was, "If I only had a knife" , unfortunately the women drowned. If you ever looked at the stat's on the number of fatality's for drivers not wearing seat belts, it is fifty percent. Well the other fifty are just as dead.
In some case's it was the seat belt that caused the injury or death. As for myself this discussion is over and so is the posting of anymore comments about it. My e-mail is in my profile if you care to discuss it any further.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments were never meant to be used privately. You publicly announced your bill and you opinion on how it is applied. I publicly tried to point out your errors in interpretation. If you are too narrowminded to deal with that then please try not to announce any more false facts for the group to be confused with.

Quote:
When it's on a puplic hyway it IS on puplic display!
This is foolish and you know darn right well it's BS. I'm not sure what part of Law Enforcement you spent 10 years in but it sure as heck wasn't legal interpretations.

Quote:
If your confused over any part of the Bill then see a lawyer.

I already have which is why I feel it is important to set the facts straight here and now to protect those people who may believe ALL they read.

Quote:
want to do any of the above, that's your choice, but if you do I suggest you go buy a car. This is an individual choice. I
Here you say how we build our jeeps is individual choice then you turn right around and tell us we shouldn't own a jeep if that's what we want to do.

Care to post the seat belt statistics source so we can see for ourselves? Or are we to blindly just follow you?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vise Versa
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

From my veiw point it seems we are all on the same path, but just starting from different directions.

State/Federal motor vehicle laws can be very confusing. I know in Kansas we just had a problem with the DMV deciding on its own that it would not tag any military vehicles.

The MV owners of Kansas got together and with their state reps, got a new law revised and cleared the muddy water. A rare case of our government at a grass roots level actually getting something done. Laughing

I think what both of you are saying is that one needs to read your local laws about military vehicle ownership/operation/display and then go to your local police department to make sure you are on the same page.

This would help to aviod any problems down the road (pardon my pun! Rolling Eyes )

I decided to leave this thread locked for now, as I feel that once everyone thinks about it for a while and then comes back to it you will see we were all on the same track.

Everyone on this board is extremely intelligent and post/ask many facts and questions that all of us at one time or another have pondered.

If anyone still has any problems they want to express, feel free to contact me. My email is at the bottom of the postings (email icon).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: