Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finding TDC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding TDC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Finding TDC Reply with quote

On my L134 I have read that I cant just use a rod in the spark plug hole to find TDC. If I am adjusting my valves will I be able to look at my valves with the cover off and find TDC good enough to adjust the ticking bastards Very Happy I know they have to both be closed on the compression stroke. Do I just rotate the engine until one of the vavles starts to open and back it off untill it closes and then adjust both to .016?
Also, do I have to drain the engine oil to remove the valve cover?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use the plug hole on the L134 because it's not over the piston.

No the oil will not drain out through the side valve cover.

The reason you really need to be dead on the mark for valve adjustment is because only a very small area of the cam lobe low side is actually zero lift.

Pull all the plugs. Then hold your thumb over the #1 plug hole. Now rotate the engine (you can do this with a large socket on the crank nut or by applying pressure to the fan belt and turning the fan in normal direction), preferably by hand, until you feel a lot of air pressure trying to push your thumb off the hole. Continue to rotate slowly as you let a small amount of air get past your thumb and when the air stops blowing past your thumb you're at TDC # 1. Now look at your timing marks. Set her at the TDC mark not the 5 degree BTDC mark. If your timing marks are on the flywheel then now is the time to mark your front crank pulley and add a pointer. It will make timing easier from now on. Get a piece of metal and bend it to match the appearance of this pointer in the photo or buy one from a jeep supplier and bolt it to the front timing cover so it will align with the top right (passenger side) of the pulley.

Make a mark on your tab pointer for TDC roughly in the same position as it is in the photo. Now file a notch in the pulley to match up with your TDC mark. Now rotate the engine backwards slightly untill the 5 Deg BTDC mark on your flywheel is centered in the hole. Now make a 5 Deg BTC mark in line with the notch in your pulley. Voils front timing marks.

Now with the TDC mark lined up again make 3 more crayon marks on the pulley at every 90 degrees. So you now have one notch and 3 crayon marked spots equal distance around the pulley at each 90 degree increment. Now set clearance on the #1 cylinder valves. Then rotate in the normal direction your crank until the next mark on the pulley aligns with the TDC mark on the tab. Set clearance on # 3 cylinder valves then rotate to next mark and do # 4 valves and finally to the last mark and do #2 valves. Then I usually go back to #1 and check them all one more time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: