Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - How tight is your distributor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How tight is your distributor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: How tight is your distributor Reply with quote

I know it sounds silly but........................ how much effort do you have to put into turning your distributor??, once I back off the (pig off a bolt to get to) bolt I seem to have to put an awfull lot of effort into turning it despite giving the collar a liberal dose of WD40.

I suspect something is a-rye as the M201 dizzy turns with 1 hand once slackened off.

Hey ho,
Dave.
dv3468

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: I had to use a chain wrench to eventually get my distributor to move!! It was rusted in place. I had the same problem a few months back and Wes told me to loosen the locking bolt and try to get the WD-40 / Penetrating oil to get down and around the distributor shaft. My mechanic told me to use brake cleaner, it disolves the crude around the shaft. Keep soaking it for a few days and try to turn it back and forth until it starts to loosen up, but be careful not to bend the distributor. Once it started to turn, I gently tapped around the bottom of the distributor cap with a small ball-peen hammer until it came out. Once it comes out, clean the shaft and it would be a good idea to put anti-seize compound on it before you put it back in. Good luck, Dennis
maeserik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed the bolt on the underside on the distributor is hard to reach, the distributor is easy to turn.

before i installed the distributor i cleaned and oiled everything at the buttom.

see you at Ursel !
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
davem201m38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and the advice, looks like I have a known problem.
Hi Eric, yes I'll see you at Ursel again. This year I will leave the M35 at home and just take the jeep. I think we have a cottage in Normandy booked so I'll tow the jeep on an A bar and leave it at Penny's Oil in Eeklo / Ecklo /Eklo, you know about 4kms from Ursel.
I'll then drive the family down to Normandy with the Discovery and go to Ursel on the return trip.

All the best,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: