Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 tub 52 vs 64
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 tub 52 vs 64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: M38A1 tub 52 vs 64 Reply with quote

Larry May posted this on the G503 site and I think many of you M38A1 owners here will appreciate this data.

Larry May
G-Staff Sergeant

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 am Post subject: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 1952 M38A1 BODY AND A 1964 M38A1 BODY

I am in the process of redoing a 1952 M38A1 and am calling this a military rebuild and not a factory restore since there will be some very slight changes from the factory 1952. The major change will be the addition of a military signal light kit. Anyway, the 52 body tub is rusted too bad to be rebuilt (at least by me) so I am using a 64 Marine Corp M38A1 body tub. The differences between the two are as follows:

1. The 64 tub has brackets for the rods going to the grill. (I removed those).

2. The battery cover tie down are different. ( installed the threaded "nuts" on the 64 that is used on the 52).

3. The water drain holes in the floor boards are in a difference location between the two tubs. Since I had to do some replacement on the 64 tub, I changed the locations to match the 52 tub.

4. The rear hat channel under the body tub (just at the forward edge of
the rear seat) are different shape. (I left this as is on the 64).

5. The 64 tub does not have the rear nut for the transmission cover (Just forward of the power take off lever opening). I added this to the 64 tube.

6. The foward edge of the lip that is bend down for the power take off lever opening in not on the 64 tub. I bent it down to match the 52 tub. Also same for the edge just forward of this location for the transmission opening. I assume the 64 was not bent down since many of the older models the lip ended up touching the top of the tranfer case.

7. The 64 tub has a passenger seat retainer with flat spring spotwelded to the tub as the rear right of the seat. I removed this to match the 52 tub.

8. The 64 tub does not have a pass seat "seat" on the front of the right rear well. I added this.

9. The 64 tub had a different bracket under the cowl for the left hood hinge bolt down. I changed to match the 52 tub.

10. The 64 tub has sheet metal "L' plates for reinforce the body mounting "triangles" at the front of the tub on both sides at the bottom of the firewall. I left these on.

11. The 64 tub has two small holes in the right rear "hat" channel under the floor boards. I filled these.

12. The 64 tub did not have the front vertical bracket the goes from the above "triangles" down the side of the frame that is bolted to the frame, One on each side. I added these.

13. There is a sheet metal "L" bracket to reinforce the tub for the frame mounting holes at the rear of the gas tank well and the storage compartment on the 64 tub. I left these in place.

The front fenders are different between the 52 M38A1 and the 64. The 64 fenders have the reinforcement plate at the outside upper rear and does not have the "hat" channel to comes all the way down to bolt to the side of the frame.

Larry
1952 M38
1953 CJ3B
1957 CJ5
1958 FC150
1966 M151
1952 M100
Restoring a 1952 M38A1

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: