Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - hesitation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hesitation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oreo3156

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: hesitation Reply with quote

I have an m38a1 with the F134. Here's what I have done:

electric fuel pump geared up regulated to 7 psi.
converted over to 12 volts Delco Distrubtor, 12 volt coil, etc.
Timing is spot on.
Rebuild the carb and installed it.

Jeep fires right up and idles great. Give it a quick shot of fuel and it dies. Press the fuel pedal very very slowly and it will rev right up.

I do not have the pcv valve hooked up. ( I don't even know what it does) all I have is the intake hose hooked up from the carb to the air box. I do not have any other vent hoses hooked up.

The intake gasket is not leaking, already checked that. There is a metal tube for vaccum (I think) that goes in the middle of the intake breather hose, but nothing is hooked up to it.

Did these jeeps have vaccum advance? Does the carb have an accelerator pump I might have missed?

Any ideas?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distributor does not have vacuum advance. You set timing to 5 deg's BTDC and then the centrifugal advance (governor) gives you a total of 11 more degrees at the higher RPM area.

The carb has vacuum operated accelerator and main metering jet. If you used an OLD NOS rebuild kit you will have bad rubber diaphram parts. Another common screw up is to get the springs on the wrong side of the diaphrams or to get the springs mixed up. Who rebuilt the carb?

The vacuum system, dual vac/fuel pump and the fording air control system are quite complicated and should be completely assembled correctly or you should consult with a very experienced mechanic on how to do work arounds for substituted parts and omitted parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oreo3156

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. To answer a couple questions, I'm not using the fording kit and I bought a kit to rebuild the carb at a local shp. Think it was made by Holley actually.

Here is a pic of my carb after the rebuild. The line circled in green is for the fuel line. The line circled in red has been plugged off. (I believe it is suppose to go to the breather hose.) Think that may be the problem?

[url][/url]
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Carter to me.
oreo3156

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the carb is a Carter YS, it was kit that was made by holley
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it a small or large opened manifold throat? Sometime if you put the wrong gasket on it, it will dump fuel right into the manifold. That is if you put the gasket on it for a large and the throat is small, thats what will happen.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fitting on top is the bowl vent. If you plug it you will have the synptoms you describe.

I wasn't aware of any commercial US carb kit suppliers that manufactured a kit specifically for the M38 YS637S or the M38A1 YS950S carbs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oreo3156

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the box the kit came in got thrown out, I'll check, if it didnt, I'll get the part #.

thanks for the help. I'll try again tonight and post my results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: