Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Parking brake return spring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking brake return spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Parking brake return spring Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a diagram of the parking brake return spring an links from the frame to the lever on the transfer case brake shoe for my 52 m38 any help would be great.
Thanks, Brian
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,
You might find this post useful: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=489&highlight=brake+link

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian's reply erroneously added to a very old post:

Quote:
BB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have all three parts but the wire link is confusing with it’s two different ends.
If I can figure out how to attach a picture I will.
Brian

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD's reply to Brian's reply in old posting:

Quote:
RonD2 Member Joined: Oct 02, 2014 Posts: 1724
Location: South Carolina, Dorchester County PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:33 pm

Hi Brian,
Unclear what you mean by "two different ends" or "all three parts".
The link should look like this:

By the way, you replied to this old ancient post not your post today.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very strong possibility that the original links when ordered came with their end loops open and it was intended that they be closed upon installation.

It is also quite possible this little necessity was overlooked by the technical writers back then.

I reviewed all 4 manuals for illustrations or procedures for the installation and removal of this return spring link clip and they show it open ended in 8012 fig 118 and the spring is connected to the brake arm, Fig 117 doesn't show the clip plain enough to tell but it has the spring connected to the frame bracket, Fig 36 shows the clip ends open and the spring connected to the brake arm, TM 9-804 Fig 48 shows the clip ends open and the spring connected to the Brake Arm, Fig 45 doesn't clearly show the clip ends but it shows the spring connected to the frame bracket, TM 9-1804B shows no illustrations of the clip, TM 9-1804A Fig 21 Shows the spring only connected to the Brake Arm. The M38 Prototype Maint. Manual Fig 150 shows the clip ends open and the spring attached to the Brake Arm and Fig 146 does not show clip ends but shows spring connected to frame bracket. Early ORD 9 Fig 162 does not show ends of clips but shows spring connected to frame bracket and Fig 158 shows clip ends open and spring connected to Brake Arm. Late ORD 9 Fig 12-1 shows the same illustration as early ORD 9 Fig 158, and Fig 12-6 shows same illustration as early ORD 9 Fig 162.

RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
There is a very strong possibility that the original links when ordered came with their end loops open and it was intended that they be closed upon installation.
It is also quite possible this little necessity was overlooked by the technical writers back then.

Interesting question.
Whether the Army or Willys possibly intended that the loops be closed seems to be off topic to the members original question in this thread and maybe should become its own new thread --- or be continued on the referenced thread where it was mentioned as a possible modern modification (but that thread is now locked for some unknown reason).

Because the new topic is now open here....

As mentioned, there doesn't seem to be evidence in the Army manuals that supports either making the link with closed ends or telling the soldier mechanic to close them.
I couldn't find anything in the Army PS Magazine or the Willys CJ Universal Service Manual about it either.

If the benefit of closing one or both of the loops on the link would be to make it captive to prevent loss, wouldn't at least one of the open ends of the spring also benefit from being closed for the same reason?

Back in the day the link and spring were probably 25-cent parts.
Maybe no big deal if they were lost?

I hope Brian got what he needed before this post drifted.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian's post on the ancient thread from 2016/17:

Quote:
BB Location: Dunedin, Florida
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have all three parts but the wire link is confusing with it’s two different ends.
If I can figure out how to attach a picture I will.
Brian

Brian's opening post on his new thread dated 2023.

Quote:
BB PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 pm Post subject: Parking brake return spring
Hi, I am looking for a diagram of the parking brake return spring an links from the frame to the lever on the transfer case brake shoe for my 52 m38 any help would be great.
Thanks, Brian

Both questions refer to the same spring and link. And in both he was looking for explanations and photos. Take note that this post, his first post on this topic was the 27th at 6:59 PM and then it seems he read the old 2006 post and made a new post in it the 27th at 8:29PM which would have been more appropriate to place here in his original post. However as a web site co-owner and ADMIN I felt we had two like postings which based on my 26 years of admin duty here on this web site leads to confusion and persistent breaks in the line of exchanges. So it seemed a very good idea to get everyone back on the same page so using my admin abilities I moved the recent posts made on the very old 2006 post together with his new post dated the 27th. I also took the liberty off line and contacted Brian and sent him his new Photo posting album assignment.

Perhaps you can better describe what drifted in this post. But kindly keep the non-topic remarks in the correct venue IE PM's and emails.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure if you purchase rod and bend it to the desired shape it must then be heat treated to keep the shape.

Otherwise, bending it removes temper and will eventually allow the link to pull out.

Just my two cents.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we assume it was ever heat treated at all in it's history. I doubt the pull on that spring is any more than 1 to 2 lbs at rest and 3 to 4 pounds when hand brake is applied. It would take several hundred pounds of force to unroll the closed bends without any heat treatment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: