Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Olive Drab paintspecifications
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olive Drab paintspecifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use caution when you use the word original. The ORIGINAL OD used by Willys/Kaiser on all M series jeeps US built from 1952 thru 1970 was OD2430 SEMI-GLOSS. You have access to several excellent examples of OD 2430 and the two RAL colors. You need the actual base color on the plate as it was in it's Semi-gloss state or there is no way you can make a reasonably successfull match to any samples. The center color on the back of your plate is definately not OD2430. Perhaps your jeep has been repainted in the field by the military during their 20 to 30 years of possesion of it. Unless your jeep was built in Europe the only correct paint is OD2430.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
costecon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I am not familiar with the actual od2430 because I removed at least 5 layers of paint on the hood hunting for the hood numbers and one of them was even yellow.... The reason I selected the back of the plate is that it is very unlikely somebody removed it to paint it on its back. I actually scratched the paint and there is no other layer. From the photos I have seen I am not convinced it is od2430 this is why I am asking. Is it possible that these plates were prepainted with other color?
From the plates it is definitely not European.

From the photos you kindly attached I feel that od2430 is darker that the one I have in the middle of the plate. The one I have looks too much olive yellow.
My plan is to use the m38a1 almost daily for short distance so I need a paint that can be accurately reproduced in case I need to paint something. This is why i am considering to get a Ral paint because 2430 is not available in Europe. I am wondering which is the closest Ral to the od2430... from the photos I feel ral6014 is closer.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photo of the data plate mounting plate back side is entirely too glossy to be correct for original or a field repaint. The plates were removed often for inspections which required restamping data such as tire pressure changes. The main mount plate may be a later replacement which received the OD 24087 after 1955 in the field. At any rate if you wish an original color then the RAL 6014 is closest match to 2430. Why not take both cards, RAL 6014 and OD 2430 to your local paint mixing shop and have them make you a custom matching paint. These shops record the mixture contents so future replacement can be mixed the same.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
costecon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I will order 2430 card and give it a try...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are pretty darn close in color matching.

Another options is to go to a professional auto paint store and have them use the hand held paint matching computer and then it will formulate a mix that you can have made.

That would be closest to what you have under the plate, if that is the route you want to go.

Paint is a tough issue because once it is all together it is difficult to change colors!

Great thread posting from Wes on the colors.
costecon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank for inspiring.... once you get tired and want to make a short cut it is good to have you guys to get you back on the right path!!! You made me feel guilty trying to get a "similar color" so I looked further.

I found the tail light bracket which I accidentally forgot to sandblast and the paint really looks like the 1st coat.
I have dropped it to the paint shop and I will get proposals from the guys tomorrow.
They will mix colors to achieve the same, but they also suggested a much bigger database (apparently RAL colours are very limited) and they are almost sure they will find a mach of standard color of the bigger database.
Of course any outcome I will let you know...

I am updating my color trials with bellow photo.

costecon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal was to find a recipe for the color and not just match. I cannot match every time I need to paint something.
So after many trials and mixing of different percentages of various standard color, I have my recipe that is very very close to the samples I have from the taillight brackets.
These were the only parts not sandblasted, big enough and not touched by painting in the service years.

My recipe is Spies Hecker f2/f180 and f2/f183 50:50. Same colors available by standox

Of course this is my perception of color and based on my samples that I assume are correct.
I suggest any person in EU interested can test or I could send via post a small piece of metal painted if interested.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end this topic has been discussed thousands of times. The problem is how easy it is to make a color look like 5 or 6 other colors by just reproducing it on different bases , in different lighting or different angles. There will always be that 50% based on individual perception.

I have posted very reliable evidence of this problem many years ago.

Simply put, a photo is only what you see and percieve. The FS 595 along with several other Regs and manuals lay out the proper laboratory methods of establishing and reproducing certain colors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: