Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M-38A1 Steering Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-38A1 Steering Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: M-38A1 Steering Questions Reply with quote

I'm the lucky new owner of a '55 M-38A1 jeep. My initial test drive revealed some significantly difficult steering....so I started with a lube job of all moving parts in the steering system and ended with the removal of the steering gear box and the drag link. Inspection of the gear box found a box pumped full of lithium chassis grease to the extent that it was about 3/4 of the way up the steering column. Also there was a pretty healthy presence of water in the gear box (which was probably already there before they pumped in the grease). My questions are:

1. Is the use of chassis grease in the gear box acceptable or should I refill the box with SAE 80/90 oil as the manual indicates?
2. Both ends of the drag link were fully screwed in and there was still considerable slop in the steering. Does this indicate that a new drag link is required or can these be rebuilt with new springs and ball plates?
3. The bakelite horn switch located at the bottom end of the gear box is missing. The screw-in fitting with the small plunger is still there but everything inside the contact enclosure is gone. Can this hole be plugged with a 3/4" brass plug if the horn switch is no longer required?
4. Finally, someone has added an after-market shock absorber between the front axle and the tie-rod. Is this really necessary or desirable or does it just add to an already difficult steering problem?

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: The shock absorber on the axle: I had to do
this for our M38 to stop the uncontrollable shimmy,
which could probably have been fixed at greater
expense than I wished to enter in to. I see this on
lots of similar vehicles. I know that they didn't
shimmy coming from the factory, but that was a
bit ago, and time takes it's toll. Military Vehicles
magazine some time back addressed this problem
much better than I can.
Jim in Darkest Arkansas
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your steering box has grease in it, chances are it leaks oil like a faucet. It's definitally supposed to have gear oil. If you put some in, chances are, its going to leak out.

As for the after-market absorber, that's there to try to control the shimmy. In reality, it is masking a greater problem. In my opinion, that should come off and you should check your entire steering system for slop - including the tie rod ends and steering knuckles.

The steering system is something you want highly maintained in my opinion. Nothing on a car has as much impact on your life as steering and breaks.
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Military Vehicles Magazine with information
on front wheel shimmy was June 2002, Issue #91.

Shimmy is dangerous. You have literally no
control over the vehicle, and any little thing,
such as a gravel on the road, can induce it. It
really really puts a strain on the entire vehicle,
and if you're in traffic.....

Jim in Darkest Arkansas
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having bad shimmy in my M-38CDN...

Found the problem... loose wheel bearings, PO never bent the lock washer against the nut... I tightened it all up and full speed without a bit of shimmy...

No stablizer bar used here...

So in addition to the steering check the wheel bearings...

Hope this helps...
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i bought a rebuilt steering box from midwest military and its packed plum full of red like grease. Your saying this is probably becuase it leaks? Gosh i hope not, that would anger me more than you know. I paid nearly 400 bucks for that part? Do you think they just packed it full of grease to preserve the part and after its installed remove the grease and use gear oil? Tell me what you think.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very light weight grease will work ok down south. In cold weather the steering will stiffen up.

You seem to possess some mechanical ability. Now just read the troubleshooting section of the service manual and you should be able to restore the rest of the steering system to factory new (NO SHIMMY) condition. Then throw that steering stabilizer away. Remember the steering system consists of the parts that force the wheels to turn and the parts that allow the front wheels to turn. Either will cause shimmy issues. The steering pivot bearings in the front axle knuckles (often called "king pin bearings) are usually the source of the proverbial "death wobble".

So get into the TM 9-804A or TM 8-8014 contain the troubleshooting charts and TM 9-8015-2 contains the how to for rebuilding all the steering parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gentlemen......for all the answers and comments. I will probably end up going over the entire steering linkage by the time I'm all done....if for no other reason then just to familiarize myself with the vehicle. This jeep will probably never see pavement again as it is now consigned to the ranch.....so I doubt that shimmy will ever be a problem since its top speed will be limited by our rough ranch roads. If the shock absorber provides some degree of dampening against steering wheel jerks induced by rough terrain then it might be worth leaving in-place. If it just makes steering harder then normal then I'm all for loosing it! Okay...so here's the plan.......I'm going to replace the screwed-in horn switch with a brass plug.......make a gasket for the steering gear cover plate.....fill the gear box with SAE 80 oil......and check frequently. Thanks again for y'alls help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: