Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Solex Vs Carter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solex Vs Carter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Solex Vs Carter Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have just unloaded from the Land Rover my 'new' M38 engine. Actually its a fully rebuilt (at the French tax payers expense) M201 engine with all its water resistant 24v accesories, basically a M38 engine clone.
For anybody reading this that hasn't yet got bored with me talking about this, or doesn't know. The French built the MB under licence but copied the M38 engine and 24 volt accesories.

Tomorrow when its light I'll take some pictures. Even though it wasn't cheap, I payed considerably less than the French tax payer!

Anyway has anybody had any experience to compare the Solex carb against the correct Carter carb? vis performance? I'm not bothered about economy.

I've never driven a new engine with a new Carter carb so don't know what to expect.

Up till now I've run my M201s and my M38 all on Solex carbs just to keep the commonality but with this engine I'm going to put the corrent Carter on and was thinking of switching the M201s or at least one of the M201s to a M38 type Carter as well

Thanks,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YS637S Carter got a bad rap the last few years because poor rebuild results were appearing due to the use of old NOS kits with incompatible rubber parts and poor rebuilding techniques. As is often the case the path of lease resistance was followed by many which led to the influx of many Solex units which brought with them other difficulties like the need for fuel pressure regulators and difficult cold starting.

IMHO the properly rebuilt and set up Carter YS637S is the better all around performer on the Willys engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, hope your well.
I've never experienced a good Carter on a good engine so was wondering. I have to say I have no problem with the solex on the M38 even with the proper fuel pump, guess I've been lucky with the M38, obviuosly the Solex is standard on the M201.
At the moment with $2 to the £ it makes shopping in the US fairly cheap, so I'm thinking of getting a rebuilt Carter from Midwest so i can have two on the shelf and switch over to Carters from Solex's, odd as it sounds I'd rather have the M38 in original specthan the M201s
All the best,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidently Wes,

this is just down the road from me;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/articles/2007/06/28/acapp_feature.shtml

Check out the link!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you Dave. Looks just like me!!!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
maeserik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear Dave you have got an engine.

Jeroen bought a rebuild CJ3 engine for his GPW, we sayd to each other this was the engine Dave needs.
We bought the engine from an older clubmember ("special price") which knew Jeroen was restoring a jeep.
Can you put the M38 head on the hotchkiss engine ?

Next year we meat "Lotti" in Ursel with a new hearth !

Erik and Jeroen
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
maeserik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the pics of the new engine, you will have to change the frontplate also, but than is easy to fix, we put a gpw frontplate on a cj3 engine ( the opposite ). Does the flywheel fit with the M38 starter or do you have to switch it with your original engine ?

nice thing to look at ( my wife would not understand what is nice about an engine ...)

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,
nice to hear from you all. We'll be over at Christmas so see you all then when I drop that M38 tailgate off.
I haven't started to look at what I need to change. As everything is new on the Hotchkiss engine I might just bolt the gearbox and new clutch straight up to the engine. If I change the generator for the M38 generator I can keep the same cabel from the generator to the magic box. Then I only need to change to wire to the distributor and we should be ready to go.

As you will see this winter I am hoping to fit the winch and an overdive also. On our motorways and especially YOUR roads the jeep is so slow in modern traffic it is a hazzard. One of my Scottish friends had a rear end shunt last year in Belgium because the other motorist didn't realise how slow (90KMH) the jeep was moving. They were lucky to survive.

Also, I'm looking to sell my road going M201 next year and get another M38. If you look on Milweb you will see I have sold some of my big trucks, I now only have one M35/A2 truck which is easier to look after.
Please send me your home address again as i still can't find your home town on the map!
Good to see the Ford coming on so well.
All the best,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: